Collecting pollen or not

Default Collecting pollen or not

A bee friend who doesn't have a computer asked me to ask about collecting extra pollen in the spring. I don't do it so have no experience.

1.- First is it a good idea to have a pollen collector on your hive if you see lots of pollen coming in? He felt the extra pollen in one of his hives caused the hive to swarm late in the summer. (Pollen bound)

2.- If it's a good idea, what type of pollen collector should he use? He thought he could have it on a few days and a few days off.

Thanks!
    Tanya

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Collecting pollen or not

For me its not worth it. Home yard i didnít collect enough to make it worth it. Plus it is one more thing to do everyday.

The Sundance pollen trap is probably the best on the market. I like the Sundance II because the pollen will be cleaner and it's a top entrance trap and I run to entrances. You will get some less honey, but you can sell pollen for more than honey. Mostly I trap it to save it for years with a failed fall flow so I can feed it to my bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you both for your replies. I am mostly interested in knowing if this will help stop a possible swarming- to keep the hive from becoming pollen bound. I don't think he is interested in collecting the pollen per se.

Is it a good idea to put on a pollen trap or should he just remove the pollen bound frames and add empty ones?

>...will help stop a possible swarming- to keep the hive from becoming pollen bound

No. It will not stop swarming. They will simply gather more pollen to make up for what they lose in the trap.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you very much, Michael. I will tell him.

Tanya

I could see the value in collecting a small amount of pollen if you're rearing queans. Making up a massive pollen frame from a drawn comb and collected pollen is a good way to boost resources in a cell starter.