Taste of Goldenrod Honey - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Taste of Goldenrod Honey

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Sorry about split post. Not saying you’re entirely wrong Greg. The bees were wintered in Texas. My take is given the right conditions and perhaps the right type of honeydew, any negatives can be overcome.
    This alone makes the honeydew a non-issue then.
    Not much of an issue - for as long as the bees can go outside the defecate, more or less regularly.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

A local beek at the club had what he called Goldenrod. My wife bought a bottle. My thought was it tasted a LOT like Aunt Jemimah Pancake syrup. I was hoping my bees would stay out of the goldenrod if that was for real.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    You very well can have a high proportion of HoneyDew honey in it.
    Good for human consumption; unusual taste; easy to test for to confirm.
    BAD FOR THE BEES

Presence of Honeydew honey in late honeys is typically downplayed as if insignificant.
    I think this is a mistake.
    This statement was made without qualification and is what I replied to. It may well be a poor “honey” for a hive in a harsh winter climate. I couldn’t speak to that though I have operated a commercial outfit in northern Minnesota for 10 years and am aware that any time a hive is confined for a long time it’s not healthy regardless of diet. My long held belief is the primary factors to successful wintering are a good late summer to early fall nectar and pollen flow, a young queen and timely mite treatments. If those factors are present a lot of negatives can be overcome. Sorry for the hijack.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This year was a good Goldenrod here in the Champlain valley. Had a double nuc box where one nuc was a story shorter than the other. So there was an empty nuc box on the inner cover to keep the top lever and the lid on straight. The bees went up through the feed hole and built comb. Filled it with goldenrod. Had some Irish honey judges visit after Apimondia. When they tasted that honey...well, they couldn't get enough. Think butterscotch. And, not a dark honey. 28mm on the Pfund scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    This year was a good Goldenrod here in the Champlain valley. Had a double nuc box where one nuc was a story shorter than the other. So there was an empty nuc box on the inner cover to keep the top lever and the lid on straight. The bees went up through the feed hole and built comb. Filled it with goldenrod. Had some Irish honey judges visit after Apimondia. When they tasted that honey...well, they couldn't get enough. Think butterscotch. And, not a dark honey. 28mm on the Pfund scale.
    Apparently the Goldenrod phenomena is pretty regional. I'm 0 for my entire beekeeping career on raising any honey from the stuff in a pretty large area of the upper midwest where I have kept bees. Its always around in the fall and I will stop and gaze expectantly at it but nary a bee to be seen.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Interesting. I live North of Houston and had 10+ gallons of the darkest honey that I have ever had in 30 years of hobby beekeeping (two hives). I took the honey in October.
    July honey was amber and fantastic but this really dark honey is good but where did the dark come from? I live in a subdivision with others around and no big fields of anything that I have seen blooming in bulk so I cannot figure out what the bees found to use since being robbed in July.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    July honey was amber and fantastic ... .
    Tallow.
    David Matlock

BAD FOR THE BEES
    OK, you guys are correct.
    Some qualification are needed.
    OK, this should be - "BAD FOR THE wintering BEES in locations with prolonged, continuous no-flight cold season (3-4 months and more). Also dependent on the honeydew source particulars - some sources are worse than others. Also dependent on the specific bees - some bees can hold more fecal mass before they are prone to diarrhea."
    So there.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I was reading somewhere recently that in order to have a good GR flow was to have some rain when the flower buds begin to form. Around here that would be Aug./ Sept. I have not been paying close attention to this, but if memory serves, I think it is true.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12