Tracking bees

Thread: Tracking bees

So two of my kiddos and I decided to try and mark feral bees and time their flights to see how far their hives are located from our house. It was a fun activity and the kids really enjoyed it. Also got to see one of the bees we marked get eaten. Lol.

I’m really curious to see how many of you that have tried this were successful in finding a feral hive. Seems like it would take a whole lot of luck and they would have to be pretty close.

Made for an interesting video...

Ryan

https://youtu.be/KDi8OIFjz4A
    Last edited by Nelsonhoneyfarms; 11-03-2019 at 10:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tracking bees

How do you know it's a feral bee?
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    How do you know it's a feral bee?
    I really don’t know for sure. Just guessing since I don’t think any of the folks that live within a mile are beekeepers. My closest neighbor has reported several swarms on his place over the years. Lots of feral colonies around here, but it may very well be from someone’s hive.

When I've tried it the complicated part is private property. It's likely that the bees are flying across other people's land. If you get something that attracts bees (something that is rich in sugar and smell) and then catch a bunch of them in a bee lining box, you can try to triangulate from places with public access (roads etc.) If you have a fairly detailed topo map (or a blowup of google maps or google earth) you can draw your triangulations on the map and narrow things down. Of course it is possible the bees are from more than one source. After you have a fair idea of where you think the colony is, then go to that landowner and ask permission to go looking for it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    When I've tried it the complicated part is private property. It's likely that the bees are flying across other people's land. If you get something that attracts bees (something that is rich in sugar and smell) and then catch a bunch of them in a bee lining box, you can try to triangulate from places with public access (roads etc.) If you have a fairly detailed topo map (or a blowup of google maps or google earth) you can draw your triangulations on the map and narrow things down. Of course it is possible the bees are from more than one source. After you have a fair idea of where you think the colony is, then go to that landowner and ask permission to go looking for it.
    Yes I agree. Private land is the limiting factor. I really want to obtain permission on a larger property and try this right in the middle of that property.

That being said, this was really just a fun activity with the kids. Hoping to pass down the love for bees to at least one of them....fingers crossed. Lol

Ryan

Beelineing is how I got my first bees 40 years ago.