Prolific Propolisers W/Photo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prolific Propolisers W/Photo

Some bees just like their propolis. These are the only ones of 23 colonies that have done this.
    I guess they decided since I haven't reduced the entrances, they will just do it themselves.

069 (1024x768).jpg

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Prolific Propolisers W/Photo

Wow, that's remarkable. How long did it take them? I assume the set up is the same as the others? J

I had one just like that. They would glue the front closed down to a 1/2" hole. I gave the queen 2 summers to make honey but her hive never seemed to make extra.

She's in a jar of rubbing alcohol now. We'll see how her daughter does this coming spring. It just wasn't worth the effort to deal with all the propolis.

*edit. Found a picture from a short time after I had cleaned out the entrance to get ready for winter.

20181016_131705 (1).jpg

Fivej,
    The setup is the same as the majority. Even the positions are relatively the same. I have them on stands of 3 and 4, facing S/SE.
    I don't know how long it took as I didn't notice when they started, but I watch the landing boards regularly. I guess I just caught the light and angle just right today.

Steve,
    This one made less surplus honey than the others, also. Maybe I need to start making propolis tincture.
    I noticed in your photo they made multiple holes in the propolis to pass through. On mine they are building a solid wall with about a 3/8ths x 4" reduced entrance. I'll post a picture tomorrow showing the whole thing.

Last year I had a colony build a diverted entrance off of a 4" entrance from the bottom up. It wasn't built like tunnel, but like walls with no roof. This one was out by itself facing due East.

Alex

Before we bred it out of them, bees all used to do this. That's where the name comes from: Propolis is Greek for "in front of the city".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Some bees just like their propolis. These are the only ones of 23 colonies that have done this.
    I guess they decided since I haven't reduced the entrances, they will just do it themselves.

069 (1024x768).jpg

Alex
    Cool post, Alex. I have one colony that is an especially prodigious propolizer as well- I assume they know what they want and as long as it does not present undue inconvenience to me, I figure this might be beneficial genetics to have in the background. Do they glue everything on the interior of the hive together too?

I also observed a hive that has otherwise used propolis sparingly attempt to close-up a screened inner cover that I left on a little too late (attached).

Again- enjoyed the post.

Russ

20191104_190803.jpg
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

Michael, Interesting word origin. That made me look up "metropolis", metro, fr., meter (mother)+(polis) city. Sort of ties the whole thing together. Thanks

Russ,
    This colony does use more propolis on the tops of the frames where they meet the next box above and the inner cover.
    After all these years with the same line of bees, I wonder, why now and why only this colony. I am going to let them have their way unless skunks or 'possums start targeting it.

Hmmm, Photo up-loader isn't working for me this morning.

Alex

I'd like the propolis maker bees.
    I could sell some propolis products.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

After all these years with the same line of bees, I wonder, why now and why only this colony.
    I assume you typically put your entrance reducers in about the same time every year?

I wonder if most colonies have the latent ability to propolize and for those who a genetically disposed to use it more sparingly might only resort to using it heavily when need dictates.

It would be interesting to see if they chew it out this Spring when the flow gets going.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4

I didn't take a picture, but I used apiguard in a couple hives this year and when I went to take it out the entire little tin was completely covered in propolis. Couldn't even tell if they carried out the apiguard or just buried it under the propolis.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post

It would be interesting to see if they chew it out this Spring when the flow gets going.
    For mine it was like that all year. The picture I posted was about a week after I had broken it up so I could get the OAV wand in. That's another reason she is soaking in alcohol, it was too hard to do OAV when everything was glue together and the front door was slammed shut.

069 (1024x768).jpg

Alex
    concur they want less entrance. so they fix it. that looks like a 3/4 by 16 seems plenty, the bees will do what they do.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    I'd like the propolis maker bees.
    I could sell some propolis products.
    like what kind of products, I have a couple quarts and am looking at a way to turn it into $$

2-3 years ago, out of the blue - there was a person around my vicinity looking for a steady supplier of propolis.
    I think the biggest beek in my areas spoke to them.
    Don't know what happened after wards.

I say, GG, look around your vicinity for Russian/Polish/Whatever-European grocery stores.
    Start there.
    Go and talk to them and see what you can offer.
    Ethnic Eastern Europeans will be your first test customers.
    They will buy the raw stuff OR maybe more interested in ready-to-use preparations - entirely different area ().

Propolis preparations - a large topic I mean to study and learn from the others.
    For sure it sells and for sure it works
    There is a good market for it (in the US still to be developed).
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...polis+tincture
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...80%D1%82%D1%83

Even Ian, the Canadian Beekeeper talks about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7NuVIsgQ4

I for now have enough supply to make some internal consumption tincture for personal use (got me a bottle of 98% grain alcohol Everclear another day).
    Want to see how that will work.

I also just pulled a batch of frames out of rotation (season end, etc).
    Want to see how much I can harvest and go from there.

All in all I want good propolis producers.
    For sure I would not terminate bees that do a lot of propolis (this trait has been actively suppressed for long time now because it is perceived as if "inconvenient" by the honey producers - well, what about propolis producers???)
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Litsinger View Post
    I assume you typically put your entrance reducers in about the same time every year?

I wonder if most colonies have the latent ability to propolize and for those who a genetically disposed to use it more sparingly might only resort to using it heavily when need dictates.

I just start watching for the foraging activity to decrease and keep an eye on the weather forecast. I am going to leave it be for now as long as predators don't take advantage of the lack of a wooden reducer.

069 (1024x768).jpg This is the photo I was trying to load a few days ago. I'll take another soon, as we have cooler weather approaching.

They are coating the landing board as well.

Alex
    Last edited by AHudd; 11-07-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added "don't"

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    All in all I want good propolis producers.
    For sure I would not terminate bees that do a lot of propolis (this trait has been actively suppressed for long time now because it is perceived as if "inconvenient" by the honey producers - well, what about propolis producers???)
    Was gonna just say the obvious, rhetoric question - why lag around tons of honey when you can make the same amount of $$$ from a couple of pounds of propolis.
    And yet beeks keep producing truck fulls of honey and then sell them for pennies.
    Then spend the hard earned money to fix the broken backs and treat the arthritis (fine - IF you are big enough and gone commercial - you can mechanize, of course).
    Time to look for and develop new markets.
    The honey over-production is just .... not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    For mine it was like that all year. The picture I posted was about a week after I had broken it up so I could get the OAV wand in. That's another reason she is soaking in alcohol, it was too hard to do OAV when everything was glue together and the front door was slammed shut.
    I am going to leave it be for now, as I now treat from the rear with a Pro-Vap from Johno. When I was using a wand I was always waiting for the countdown to turn off the power prior to removing the wand. Since switching to the Pro-Vap, it has become clear, I am the bottle neck in the operation. I highly recommend it.

Alex

I will probably purchase one soon. I am downsizing and have been using dribble method lately. Spring will tell if it was a good idea, but that is a whole thread in itself and would sidetrack your discussion here.

Steve,
    I would be very interested in your results come Spring.
    Busted for sidetracking my own thread. Oh well, that's the way conversations go.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast