Using battery w/inverter and ProVap 110: how many colonies can be treated?

Default Using battery w/inverter and ProVap 110: how many colonies can be treated?

Yesterday I treated 20 colonies using the ProVap 110. All 10-framers. One single and the rest doubles and triples. (BTW, I treated through a 1/4" hole in the feeding shim placed above the brood chambers.) For the first colony, I hooked the 110 (110v, 250W, 2.2A) to a 500W inverter which was hooked up to a fully-charged heavy duty 12v marine battery. Since I had visiting beekeepers, I only did one colony with the inverter as an experiment before switching to an extension cord.

Is there a way to calculate the number of colonies I could have treated using the battery/inverter set up? Do I need to keep an eye on the battery voltage? Current being drawn? I know that Watts = Voltage X Amps, but other than that, my knowledge of electrical engineering is not so good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Using battery w/inverter and ProVap 110: how many colonies can be treated?

I’m going to defer the mechanical calculations to the whiz kids lol. I can tell you to be cautious about using it without a charging source for the battery (after going thru a couple battery chargers using a inverter without the motor running).
    It seems that when a circuit board is designed, a voltage surge is factored in for durability but not a low voltage situation. Took my dewalt charger out right off, the Milwaukee a few more events. The Milwaukee folks were the ones that explained it to me.
    Rod

Default Re: Using battery w/inverter and ProVap 110: how many colonies can be treated?

Most battery capacity ratings would be discharge to quite a low voltage. Such deep discharges really shorten a battery life. Even so called recreational level marine or deep discharge batteries are only slightly more capable of living with deep discharges and all lead acid batteries are badly compromised by sitting for any period of time in a discharged condition. Other words, they must be recharged immediately.

If you go to a site dedicated to solar energy they have some good info on batteries and battery rating. You will see ratings of ampere hour capacity when discharged to a stated voltage level. There will be charts showing how many cycles of this the battery will take till capacity falls off to say 80% of new. Also will be listed lifespan when discharged deeper.

250 watts power draw would be slightly more than 20 amps from a nominal 12 volt battery But because the inverter is probably ony 80 % efficient, battery current draw will be higher. Also this is initial conditions when the battery is fully charged. As its voltage drops it will have to supply higher amperage to satisfy the wattage demand. Within a short time the current draw will be approaching 30 amps. Something like a garden tractor battery would not be up to it for long.

Like rwlaw points out your charger may not like being presented with the deeply discharged battery which will draw max load. Someone who has actually used this unit with a known good condition battery of a certain size may be able to give you something more precise. My advice if you are going to be doing 20 colonies would be a small generator. Whole lot more versatile.
    Frank

A cheap power meter plugged into the inverter outlet could help you to calculate how much electrical energy was used per hive on average.

I use my pickup with a 2000 watt inverter.I will do 10 and move to the next 10 and let my truck run a few minutes.I went through 25 once but then had to call someone to come to the bottom and jump my truck off.I really doubt you could get 15 done without running your battery down.Oh and my batter is almost new.