Lowest observed foraging temperature - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lowest observed foraging temperature

I believe a number of years ago someone coined the name moonlights or moonbeams for bee genetics they were trying to market as being very keen producers. This implied because they purportedly foraged early and late. That was too early in my beekeeping trip to know squat one way or the other but it apparently did not turn out well.

Anyone here remember the details?
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have watched bees on a sunny day but near freezing temperatures, foraging for water, I think. Right at the edge of melting snow and long grass. I was very surprised that they would take something that cold. It could have been something else I could not see or a sun-warmed water droplet. It was not bees flying out with Nosema, which I have observed, to die. I have picked up what I think are Nosema infected bees, warmed them, then watched as they flew back to the snow to die.

>Anyone here remember the details?

Russel Apiaries was advertising them. The idea was originally a spoof posted by Jim Fischer talking about crossing a lightning bug with a honey bee so they could work at night, but Russel was advertising them for sale. I can't say if it was entirely a scam as some people had some of Russel's stock and were quite pleased with them (they had several specific "brand name" bees including Sunkissed and some others including some supposed AMM). But all it all it looks like overly slick advertising to me. Try a search on Beesource on Sunkist or Sunkissed or Moonbeams or "Russel Apiaries".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Late Winter. Sunny 35F. Maple pollen.
    Coldest seen for cleansing flight, Sunny 10F.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Working in too cold is not necessarily a good thing.
    It is risky as in - you maybe loosing forager bees over unnecessary risk taking.
    Losing bees over not much payback is a bad trait and would normally be terminated.

Suppose robbing a nearby colony maybe an OK risk/payback case.
    I guess his bees don't know that. Someone better tell them.

The lowest I recorded my bees flying out in the morning was 7.5c
    The latest I watched them fly out at night, in summer was 9.30pm...the sun had set and I had to go to bed cos I had an early start for work in the morning, so I couldnt stay up to see what time they came back at.

When I had to move my hive, last summer, I blocked the entrance off before i went to work-5.30am, just seeing predawn light. They were in lock down all day, yet, when we did move them, there were a dozen or more bees outside the entrance passing nectar through the small holes of the disc- so I concluded from all of that that bees do not always go home every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzow View Post
    Hi, all,

I was just wondering what others have observed as far as lowest foraging temperature? Today the girls were bringing pollen back in around 55 degrees.

And what kind of pollen this time of year - bright yellow.

-Thomas
    Haven't been watching pollen intake lately but most of our girls will send out flyers when temps are as low as 41 or 42 deg. Not if breezy or any rain and not a lot of bees or for extended hours of the day but we are amazed as we thought 55 deg or so was the limit. Will check to see if they are wearing sweaters and gloves next chance I get. North Central Maryland 1 mile south of Mason-Dixon Line. Go figure,, they're bees!.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly L View Post
    I guess his bees don't know that. Someone better tell them.
    They can do whatever they want and eventually get selected out against doing the stupid stuff (if left alone).

This is how we have Iberian bees that don't know much about the winter (living in USDA Zones 9-10)
    And then we have the dark bees that survive in Zone 3 AND are all about surviving the winter (by not doing the stupid stuff).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by CDaveH View Post
    Some of mine were also bringing back the bright yellow pollen yesterday with temps in the high 40s. I'd also like to know what plant it was coming from? Central Illinois.
    Pollen Color Chart.pdf Here is one Pollen Color Chart. There are more online that might show what specifically grows in your area. We still have asters blooming.

Not foraging. About 42F, and bees are outside the hive on the porch on a sunny day, or doing bowel "vacate" flights.

Foraging, 45F - 50F depending on how much sun, rain, nectar/pollen availability. Jan, if dry and sunny, somewhat rare here in our wet/cold SW WA winter climate, bees will be out in under 50 degree weather haul'n pollen from the nut tree 2" tassels.

I had some colonies that were considerably darker colored than others. One of my mentors said that they were likely a feral honeybee bloodline brought in to Mexico more than a hundred years ago, probably an AMM crossed with another common European variety, perhaps A. M. Iberica.

Those colonies were always the first bees out in the morning, last ones in at night, and packed on tons of honey. Also mean as all get out. I just loved them!

36 degrees Fahrenheit was about their lower limit, at 38 F they were screaming full-tilt. A spray rig in the orchard killed them along with several other neat colonies - some Caucasians and some Carniolans, and sadly, a wild colony that had AFB resistance. That was a sad day.

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ives View Post
    Late Winter. Sunny 35F. Maple pollen.
    Coldest seen for cleansing flight, Sunny 10F.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

My bees used to fly at about 38 F when sunny.

After I painted my hives black, They fly at 35 F

Here is some video of my bees orienting at 52 degrees F. I know that some are foraging, too, because I can see them on the nearby tulsi.

https://www.yunzowfamilyfarm.net/upl...g_1959_298.mp4
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Cool. Wouldn't dream of doing that in GA, they would hate it in our summer.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjeff View Post
    My bees used to fly at about 38 F when sunny.

After I painted my hives black, They fly at 35 F

Good point. I should of mentioned I am in Alaska at 62.05 N 163.3 W So we don't get any hot weather like that. At 70 F I pull the entrance reducer, and we don't get much hotter than 75 F

If your in a southern state and looking for seasonal solar gain, I would recommend Colony Quilts, they are black insulated winter wraps. I use them as well on the upper half of my hives.

Hi Jeff! If you see Yukon Jake, Sam Mcgee, Dangerous Dan Mcgrew, or any other of Robert Service's characters going up the Golden staircase, do tell them I said "Hello!"

Hey where do you get Colony Quilts from?

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjeff View Post
    Good point. I should of mentioned I am in Alaska at 62.05 N 163.3 W So we don't get any hot weather like that. At 70 F I pull the entrance reducer, and we don't get much hotter than 75 F

If your in a southern state and looking for seasonal solar gain, I would recommend Colony Quilts, they are black insulated winter wraps. I use them as well on the upper half of my hives.

Directly observed foraging 47 degrees this morning, on a couple of dandelion flowers. I could see the ladies bringing baskets of pollen to the hive as well.

observed foraging @ 37 degrees a couple of days ago

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast