Looking for reading material suggestions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Looking for reading material suggestions

I'm not offended at all. I am neither liberal nor conservative as well.

My opinion of Adam Smith's book is that is is somewhat less than thorough on the topics of "Hands-off" economics and interventionist economics, but he does a decent job of pointing out that work and efficiencies in the shops that produce goods are the cause of a nation's economy. He does go a bit too far in a few instances to make a point that could have been made more succinctly, although for the most part his logical flow does help support his points. His plea for governments to not interfere with business is an opinion held almost universally by business owners - ask any beekeeper. We all do it differently than each other. as we see fit for our location, setup. unique local situation, etc. Other than providing for research, information. and protecting us from theft, illegal importing / economic dumping / etc., there is not much that a government can do that an astute local beekeeper can do better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If you are alright with a hard copy I really enjoyed the 2019 release of Tom Seeley's, The Lives of Bees: The Untold Story of the Honey Bee in the Wild. I used it for a jumping off of ideas for a college project about honey bee colony size and mite load among other things.
    Another winter read for me has been Mark Shepard's, Restoration Agriculture: Real-World Permaculture for Farmers.
    In search of the Golden Mean

Rev - Thank you for the suggestions.

BTW, Brother Adam's "Rule of the Golden Mean" is mathematically similar to what stock brokers call a "moving average".

Back when stocks were quoted in 1/8ths and the markets did not react so quickly, we used a 200-day moving average. The price of the stock being considered was plotted on a graph every day. The average price for the recent 201 days (minus today's entry) was also plotted on the same graph. Early technical analysis methods involved a stock's price plot breaking above or below a 200 day moving average plot.

The math is simple - add the price for the last 201 days minus today's price (thus 200 days' prices to add up) and divide by 200. That's yesterday's entry on the "moving average" plot.

As of tomorrow, we delete the price from 202 days ago and add in today's price and re-calculate. Then we plot that number. That is how they get the name "moving average".

As computers and cell phones have sped up the pace of stock trading activity, they went to shorter moving averages and many now use a weighted 5-day factorial moving average versus a 17-day factorial moving average, but let's get back to beekeeping.

Brother Adam did this with honey production over a 10- or 20 year period. He sought to improve his score every year - not all that easy to achieve, but it does indicate that a beekeeper (or the conditions he / she is keeping his or her bees in) is getting better or worse.

As for me, I bump the line a bit plotting my honey yield per hive over the years since the first year of the last wet-year cycle. So, I do not always use the same number of years, but they always include California's tendency for a 1- to 3-year wet cycle and a 3- to 10-year drought cycle. I think it is slightly more indicative of my progress.

This was his measure of improvement, the Rule of the Golden Mean, a beekeeper's per-hive yield moving average.

kilocharlie,

That's a great bit of info on averages. Thanks for that.
    In search of the Golden Mean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12