I've Installed Motion Detector Lights, Now My Bees Come Out at Night

Default I've Installed Motion Detector Lights, Now My Bees Come Out at Night

I recently installed motion detector lights on two sides of my house, about 25'-30' from my hives. I've noticed that it doesn't take long for them to swarm to the lights when they go on at night. The bees are mostly gone in the morning, although there were a lot clinging to areas near the lights this morning. It wasn't because it was cold, as live in Tampa/St. Pete. So my question is, what becomes of those bees? Do they know how to return to the hive when the sun comes up, or do they just wander off? If it's the later, that's obviously a big problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I've Installed Motion Detector Lights, Now My Bees Come Out at Night

I read somewhere that often, bees sleep on flowers at night, like they were working late and just camp out. And they go home in the morning......
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

Default Re: I've Installed Motion Detector Lights, Now My Bees Come Out at Night

They’ll return to the hive once the sun comes up and they can orientate themselves.
    Rod

Not sure what happens to the bees, but if you want to stop them from being drawn out to the light use dark red bulbs. Bees cannot see the color red.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Not sure what happens to the bees, but if you want to stop them from being drawn out to the light use dark red bulbs. Bees cannot see the color red.
    Is this really true? I have two red heat lamps in our chicken coop right now and they attract bees.

I use red leds at night, the brighter area light (rather than the headlamp) does attract bees so it must give off some UV waves
    Rod

>I have two red heat lamps in our chicken coop right now and they attract bees.

What we perceive as red isn't always true red. They can't see true red, but if it's a bit orange they can. Then heat lamps also are warm which may attract the bees to the heat.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you to all who responded. Much appreciated.