Queen on Frame of Hive that Absconded

Default Queen on Frame of Hive that Absconded

I'm new at posting - hoping I put this in the right place.

We examined a hive this weekend, knowing that the bees were gone. It had a "robbing screen" on it, so it wasn't robbed out. I found 7 deep frames of honey intact; 2 full deeps of pollen.

Found something that has me stumped:

The queen was dead, on one of the combs, all by herself.
    She looked perfectly normal other than she was dead. There were no other bees on the combs. A few dead bees on the bottom of the hive, otherwise the hive was empty of bees. There were no queen cells anywhere in the hive.

If the bees had just absconded, I would expect the queen to have gone with them, but she was there, alone.

-Any thoughts on what might have happened here?
    -Anyone seen something like this before - bees gone but queen still there?

Let me know if I need to provide any other details.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen on Frame of Hive that Absconded

I might as well ask. How did you treat for mites? A mite explosion has to be considered.

There were visible mites on the bottom board.

Would the bees abandon the queen if they were leaving due to mites? I have heard of them absconding with the queen, but never leaving the queen.

I also live next to a person that uses quite a bit of pesticide on his Christmas Tree farm and also around the perimeter of his barn. I was considering pesticide as a possibility (saw a good number of bees dying inside the robbing screen for about 2 weeks). I had just assumed it was drones dying, but I had NEVER seen bees just going into the screen and not getting out and dying there before. Normally they would carry any dead away outside the screen.

Sounds like a mite crash. Pesticide kill is quick. Since you did not answer the previous question I assume you did not treat. If you want to be tf you need to get bees from as local a source as possible who is also tf. You would not expect a work horse to win the Kentucky derby. I think people assume bees have absconded far more often than they do. It sounds like yours went out to die. Do you have more colonies? Are you planning to treat? Better luck next time! Beekeeping is a science and an art. Sometimes it is hard to get the hang of it. Also, join your local bee club if you can.

Sorry to hear, read the sticky at the top of the page. Anatomy of a mite crash good info.
    ZONE 5A WVwildernessapiaries.com