Can Palmer Style Double Nucs be used to produce Honey? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can Palmer Style Double Nucs be used to produce Honey?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Couple of questions about Double Nucs:

1. What material, and what thickness of the material do you use as a barrier to separate the 5 frames from one another inside of a "double nuc box"?

2. How about the honey supers? Can a 2X double 5 frame nuc box make honey the same as a normal double deep colony?

3. How do they overwinter, exactly? If both queens have a queen excluder, how do you get both of the queens to access the honey supers for overwintering?
    Last year I wanted to find out the answer to this question. My question was slightly different in that I after a horrible year the previous year, I was starting over with Packages. Bought 6 Packages and used the comb from prior year. Satcked two 5 frame nuc's with package bee's and slid two double nuc's together. I then placed a slighty modified super on top with queen excluder so queens wouldn't cross. They filled out both nuc's and even provided about 1-1/2 supers of honey from 1st year packages

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Here is a video - the entire yard is nothing but 6-frame hives (call them nucs if wish, they will only smile at you).

That is a lot queens there per one yard of a stand.

I like this production mode based on "nucs???" a lot.
    No complication with "double-supers" either.
    If the honey supers are shallow, even I can lift and move the 6-frame boxes.

Start watching at 1:55.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_E1onLuIhg
    Greg, thanks for the above link.

That video has been running around inside my brain overnight It reminds me of Doolittle's '6-frame' Hive (which was actually a 15-frame Long Hive, in which he over-wintered on 6 central frames) - except that this guy is doing the same sort of thing, only vertically.

Do you have any info on what happens next (that is, after he pulls the honey) ? Presumably he feeds in some way ? I'd also be very interested in his over-wintering set-up (covers, insulation and so forth) if you should come across any info on that. If I had some knowledge of Russian then I'd have a go at finding it myself, but ...

Again, good link, thanks.
    LJ

PS - with the exception of perhaps just one or two honey frames which showed just a hint of a pattern suggesting perhaps (?) that they maybe had brood in them at some stage, all the rest were completely uniform - so how does this guy keep the Queen out of the supers without using a QX ? However he does this, it's impressive.
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Greg, thanks for the above link.
    Do you have any info on what happens next (that is, after he pulls the honey) ? .........
    LJ, will follow up when have time.

Yes, me too - trying build a complete picture and see how could this work for me.
    The ergonomic value of such setups - priceless.

But for sure - as I am finding out - some guys have been doing these setups despite the conventional teachings.
    Even now, some conventional large Dadant/Lang beeks are trying to bash the "6-frame mobile beek" on his channel
    (especially one Lang poly-equipment seller that I found - called the entire small hive based operation a nonsense).
    For shame. Need to be learning, not bashing.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Overwintering double nucs are a brilliant resource for many reasons. Producing honey is a resource if that happens to fit your program but the honey is best as a spare resource. For overwintering one super should have had the queen excluder removed long enough to integrate. 10 frame double nucs are tight but possible with 1/8” plastic dividers. Remember to divide the super also if the double nuc is your bottom box. The workers can smell the queen thermone and you may end up with only one queen remaining. Also use a canvas inner cover. I plan to use my nucs for a variety of queen rearing etc but at the end of the season I want one good queen and young workers mite free to overwinter. That is the essential point, to prepare for the next Spring. Buying queens and nuc colonies is ridiculous. There are many versions of Palmer’s great idea and they work for people who design to suit their operation and lifestyle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12