Frames

Thread: Frames

Default Frames

I have used “Brushy Mountain” frames for years and have found them very durable and sturdy (especially compared to some others like Mann Lake s).

This year I am culling quite a few frames and I am looking for a sturdy/heavy duty frame such as Brushy Mountauns (out of biz).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frames

I made the switch from Kelley frames to Mann lake frames a while back and I have been really pleased with the several thousand Mann lake frames I have assembled. I have never tried a brushy mtn so I don't know how they are built. Perhaps someone has some info on dadant frames?
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

As someone who used to purchase from Brushy Mountain, I can assure you the the frames Mann Lake currently sells are EXACTLY the same. They are also much cheaper, especially when you buy them by the case (100).
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I've bought a couple thousand Dadant frames. I've been very pleased with the frames.

The frames are really good, BUT with the pre-assembled frames with Plasticell, Dadant doesn't put enough wax on the foundation, and the bees hardly work it. I'm not purchasing pre-made Dadant frames anymore if I don't have to for that reason.

Dadant frames with Acorn foundation is another story!
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

I like Humble Abodes frames and all their wooden ware.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    As someone who used to purchase from Brushy Mountain, I can assure you the the frames Mann Lake currently sells are EXACTLY the same. They are also much cheaper, especially when you buy them by the case (100).
    I must have bought some budget grade or something- they actually were for my great-nephew who just started beekeeping last year (he's 12)... and the Mann Lake frames that were included in his kit were flimsy. I may order a few from the different vendors to see if they are "exactly" the same as you say...

Thanks for the insight.

Just thought of something that may have an impact. I am comparing the BM unassembled frames to the ML unassembled frames. The assembled frames may come from a different source.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
    +1

I prefer Humble Abodes wooden ware as well.

Quote Originally Posted by drckbdrj View Post
    I have used “Brushy Mountain” frames for years and have found them very durable and sturdy (especially compared to some others like Mann Lake s).

This year I am culling quite a few frames and I am looking for a sturdy/heavy duty frame such as Brushy Mountauns (out of biz).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Are they not the same?

What feature makes the Brushy frames more sturdy?
    Frank

For those of you fairly new to Beesource. Barry did a really nice comparison of the different frames available at the time. Not all vendors were reviewed so you may have a favorite that is not mentioned.

https://beesource.com/product-review...ngstroth-hive/

+1 to the Humble Abode Frames, When we assembled them ourselves we bought from there.

We jumped to Mann Lake once they had the pre-assembled frames available at a good rate and supply

Also, Pretty sure Brushy had been buying a lot of their wooden ware like frames from Mann Lake for years prior to their demise.

Aaron

I know some beekeepers in upstate Vermont that really like Humble Abodes too.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroZomBEE View Post

Also, Pretty sure Brushy had been buying a lot of their wooden ware like frames from Mann Lake for years prior to their demise.

Aaron
    Brushy wasn't buying their frames from Mann Lake. We toured their facility a month before they shut down, and they had all the equipment running frames and all the other woodenware there. All the wood working was done in their newer facility down off the mountain.

I have Mann Lake, Dadant, and Humble Abode frames. I prefer the Humble Abode frames.

I visit the Humble Abode factory in Winslow, Maine and pick up cases of equipment when I'm driving through Maine. I tend to buy the budget, but that's cause I'm cheap. I have yet to have a frame fail; it will happen I'm sure. Nothing like white pine as a building material.

BernieBe

I always buy Dadant budget frames. They are cheaper than anyone else's when bought in bulk and I have never had a problem with them. I don't know how they compare to the others as far as durability, but then my bees never get into fights and throw their frames around. LOL.

great article!