Power For A Vaporizer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Power For A Vaporizer

I've been using a lawn mower battery to power my vaporizer but I'd like to get away from the battery and use a power supply unit that plugs into 110V outlet. My hives are close enough to the house that I can run an extension cord out to the bee yard. Can anyone suggest a power supply unit they are presently using and that works well? A make and model number would be very helpful. Would a battery charger work?
    Bee just and just bee

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Power For A Vaporizer

I feel like you are taking a step backwards, but yes, a battery charger will work. But not all battery chargers. Some chargers will not supply current unless there is some residual voltage. Those are the ones that will not work. Really all you need is a 120v to 12v transformer. Probably a lot cheaper than a battery charger. Here is one on Amazon that should do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/SingPad-Water...=fsclp_pl_dp_8
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 10-25-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Another approach would be to buy or build a 110V vapouriser and run it directly from the extension cord.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Need to check the wattage needs of the particular vaporizer. I just checked my Varrox and it is 150W.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Good catch. I just assumed that 100W was sufficient if bee draggle was running the wand off of a lawnmower battery. To heck with the transformer, get an Easy Vap and be done with it. Plus, you will have more time left to tend the bees instead of waiting for the OA to cook off.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

The Easy Vap is an expensive item. They cost around $700 here and need to add the mask cost as well.

The Varrox is in the $200 range and mask is less of a need(there is little vapor that escapes and one can move away from the hive after connecting the cables). They are an adequate unit for a few hives. I have a small furniture dolly that I pull around when I use 120V. The dolly works well to transport 12V battery, battery charger, and a tray containing oxalic acid, hive tool, timer, wet rags, measuring spoon, etc. Battery charger has a selection switch for 2 amp or 10 amp charge rate.
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Mgolden you should have a mask with any system.

Mgolden, you can probably get 3 Easy Vaps for $700 and if you do not use a mask with a varrox you will definitely not need a mask for the Easy Vap and you will treat each hive in less than a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    The Easy Vap is an expensive item. They cost around $700 here and need to add the mask cost as well.

The Varrox is in the $200 range and mask is less of a need(there is little vapor that escapes and one can move away from the hive after connecting the cables). They are an adequate unit for a few hives. I have a small furniture dolly that I pull around when I use 120V. The dolly works well to transport 12V battery, battery charger, and a tray containing oxalic acid, hive tool, timer, wet rags, measuring spoon, etc. Battery charger has a selection switch for 2 amp or 10 amp charge rate.
    Do you happen to know the brand and model number of your battery charger? I've heard the new smart battery chargers may not would as they require a small residual charge to work and that I need a older analog charger.
    Bee just and just bee

Here is a good video from Vino Farms. This video is good for anyone shopping for a vape and looking for a power source with instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68nP0GTbrDo&t=379s

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Draggle View Post
    I've been using a lawn mower battery to power my vaporizer but I'd like to get away from the battery and use a power supply unit that plugs into 110V outlet. My hives are close enough to the house that I can run an extension cord out to the bee yard. Can anyone suggest a power supply unit they are presently using and that works well? A make and model number would be very helpful. Would a battery charger work?
    This is what I use (it is quite old). I set it at 12V10A (do NOT use 60A), ‘deep cycle’, and initially ‘charge’. After I insert the vaporizer into the hive and sealed it, I switch from ‘charge’ to ‘start/activate’, and make sure the indicator on the left moves to around 8 - 10A. It takes 3 - 5 min until a half teaspoon of OA is completely vaporized. I use a MANNLAKE vaporizer (https://www.mannlakeltd.com/oxalic-acid-vaporizer).
    IMG_3459.jpg

add the mask cost as well.
    How much is your health worth?

Sorry, the Pro Vap 110 is the $700 price.

Shipping, exchange at 1.3 times, and possible duty at the border makes items from US pricey. Maybe the free trade agreement will get signed and eliminate the risk of the duty charge at the border.

Battery charger is Motomaster which is a brand for a Canadian automotive/hardware store. Just look for a dual amp rate battery charger.

I tried making the 3/4 inch pipe and 80W band heater early version of vaporizer. Hard to keep exit pipe clear of crystals. Tried a version with two 80W band heaters. My experience is that you do get a lot more vapor in the air with the easy vap style and you are close to the vapor, as you need to hold vaporizer with your hands.

With the Varrox there is no pressurizing of the oxalic vapor and little escapes from a propolized hive. A wet rag stuffed in the entrance pretty well seals any vapor exit there. The Varrox is put in place and one has a minute thirty before vaporization start. Lots of time to step 8 feet away and upwind.

I tried making the 3/4 inch pipe and 80W band heater early version of vaporizer. Hard to keep exit pipe clear of crystals. Tried a version with two 80W band heaters. My experience is that you do get a lot more vapor in the air with the easy vap style and you are close to the vapor, as you need to hold vaporizer with your hands.
    So - why not make yourself a non-inverting band-heater vapouriser ? Think 'Varrox' principle - only mains voltage - and vapourise via the top.

The Varrox is put in place and one has a minute thirty before vaporization start. Lots of time to step 8 feet away and upwind.
    Exactly the same with what I'm describing - you could be upwind in the next field (and without a mask) before anything potentially 'unhealthy' happens.
    LJ

Mgolden, with the Easy Vap you work from behind the hive through a 1/4" hole. Once you insert the vaporizer outlet into the hole turn it right way up and tap the cap you can leave the vaporizer hanging in the 1/4" hole walk over to your next hive and prepare it for treatment while you are doing the 30 second treatment of the first hive, no need to be anywhere near but then again most of the vapor is contained in the hive anyway.

What is the opinion of the crowd about the need for a mask? I vape down wind. If I smell it I move away.

If you smell it it’s too late, get a mask
    Also many hives are not sealed up 100 % to keep all vapors in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    What is the opinion of the crowd about the need for a mask? I vape down wind. If I smell it I move away.
    I use a half face mask with organic vapor cartridges, and I use prescription safety glasses with a dam all the way around, specifically for chemical use. I also treat with formic acid pads, so they keep any splashes out of my eyes. They also keep bees away from my eyes in case they decide they don't want me there.
    I also work upwind, but anyone who has sat around a campfire knows that the smoke will always find you.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    I agree with you - but the problem with exercising such a point of view is that 'the crowd' (or at least a vociferous element within 'the crowd') consider this to be a serious 'no-no' - bit like using OA sold as wood bleach. There will always be a totally inflexible difference of opinion - so is there really any point discussing such things ?
    LJ

A battery charger would work, but you will need at least 12-15 amps to run a vaporizer that takes 150 Watts. A charger will also put out a bit more voltage than a battery, so it would make sense to do a dry run to get the timing down.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast