Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Power For A Vaporizer

17K views 58 replies 33 participants last post by  jmobee 
#1 ·
I've been using a lawn mower battery to power my vaporizer but I'd like to get away from the battery and use a power supply unit that plugs into 110V outlet. My hives are close enough to the house that I can run an extension cord out to the bee yard. Can anyone suggest a power supply unit they are presently using and that works well? A make and model number would be very helpful. Would a battery charger work?

#2 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Good catch. I just assumed that 100W was sufficient if bee draggle was running the wand off of a lawnmower battery. To heck with the transformer, get an Easy Vap and be done with it. Plus, you will have more time left to tend the bees instead of waiting for the OA to cook off.

#6 ·
The Easy Vap is an expensive item. They cost around $700 here and need to add the mask cost as well.

The Varrox is in the $200 range and mask is less of a need(there is little vapor that escapes and one can move away from the hive after connecting the cables). They are an adequate unit for a few hives. I have a small furniture dolly that I pull around when I use 120V. The dolly works well to transport 12V battery, battery charger, and a tray containing oxalic acid, hive tool, timer, wet rags, measuring spoon, etc. Battery charger has a selection switch for 2 amp or 10 amp charge rate.

#11 ·
This is what I use (it is quite old). I set it at 12V10A (do NOT use 60A), ‘deep cycle’, and initially ‘charge’. After I insert the vaporizer into the hive and sealed it, I switch from ‘charge’ to ‘start/activate’, and make sure the indicator on the left moves to around 8 - 10A. It takes 3 - 5 min until a half teaspoon of OA is completely vaporized. I use a MANNLAKE vaporizer (https://www.mannlakeltd.com/oxalic-acid-vaporizer).
Battery charger Electronics Technology Electronic device Gauge

#13 ·
Sorry, the Pro Vap 110 is the $700 price.

Shipping, exchange at 1.3 times, and possible duty at the border makes items from US pricey. Maybe the free trade agreement will get signed and eliminate the risk of the duty charge at the border.

Battery charger is Motomaster which is a brand for a Canadian automotive/hardware store. Just look for a dual amp rate battery charger.

I tried making the 3/4 inch pipe and 80W band heater early version of vaporizer. Hard to keep exit pipe clear of crystals. Tried a version with two 80W band heaters. My experience is that you do get a lot more vapor in the air with the easy vap style and you are close to the vapor, as you need to hold vaporizer with your hands.

With the Varrox there is no pressurizing of the oxalic vapor and little escapes from a propolized hive. A wet rag stuffed in the entrance pretty well seals any vapor exit there. The Varrox is put in place and one has a minute thirty before vaporization start. Lots of time to step 8 feet away and upwind.

#14 ·
I tried making the 3/4 inch pipe and 80W band heater early version of vaporizer. Hard to keep exit pipe clear of crystals. Tried a version with two 80W band heaters. My experience is that you do get a lot more vapor in the air with the easy vap style and you are close to the vapor, as you need to hold vaporizer with your hands.
So - why not make yourself a non-inverting band-heater vapouriser ? Think 'Varrox' principle - only mains voltage - and vapourise via the top.

The Varrox is put in place and one has a minute thirty before vaporization start. Lots of time to step 8 feet away and upwind.
Exactly the same with what I'm describing - you could be upwind in the next field (and without a mask) before anything potentially 'unhealthy' happens. :)
LJ

#15 ·
Mgolden, with the Easy Vap you work from behind the hive through a 1/4" hole. Once you insert the vaporizer outlet into the hole turn it right way up and tap the cap you can leave the vaporizer hanging in the 1/4" hole walk over to your next hive and prepare it for treatment while you are doing the 30 second treatment of the first hive, no need to be anywhere near but then again most of the vapor is contained in the hive anyway.

#18 ·
I use a half face mask with organic vapor cartridges, and I use prescription safety glasses with a dam all the way around, specifically for chemical use. I also treat with formic acid pads, so they keep any splashes out of my eyes. They also keep bees away from my eyes in case they decide they don't want me there.
I also work upwind, but anyone who has sat around a campfire knows that the smoke will always find you.

#20 ·
A battery charger would work, but you will need at least 12-15 amps to run a vaporizer that takes 150 Watts. A charger will also put out a bit more voltage than a battery, so it would make sense to do a dry run to get the timing down.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not sure why the big fuss, I don't like breathing in OA so I wear a mask. I spent too many years breathing in nearly lethal doses of chlorine and sulfur dioxide gases to play with it any more. Might keep me from enjoying a nice cigar.
Ya, I used to pull and move machinery, my lungs have probably been subjected to every carcinogen known to man blowing crap apart with a torch. The mask is darn well worth the price and inconvenience.

#28 · (Edited)
Dear beekeepers,

I have been using Varrox OAV for a few previous seasons powered by my car battery. Now I have access to an electrical outlet and am looking for a good 12V/12A transformer according to the Varrox manual. Does anybody have a successful experience with a transformer that is available in DYI retail or online? Here is one on Amazon (12V x 12.5A = 150W): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYQ8F2D/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1I7T79PV6CGMT&psc=1 , but I am not sure about it and it was almost two generations since I have been playing with electrical devices in a physics lab.

Thank you,
BeeReal.

#30 ·
Neither of my Battery chargers will run the 12 volt unit that I use.

I ended up using my old lawn mower battery for two hives.

I have a small Honda generator but when I fired it up it died and it was not till this week that I had time to pull the carb and clean and blow it out. I will try it next time now that it runs. ;)

#35 ·
According to US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, the level of OA vapor “Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health” is 500 mg/cubic meter (https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/144627.html). This number is based on acute oral toxicity data in humans obtained in 1930’s (obviously they cannot experiment vapor toxicity on humans).

The short-term exposure limit to OA, set by National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, is 2 mg/cubic meter. Some of us can easily get exposed to this concentration, considering we typically use 2g (2000 mg) per one double-deep hive. This means, if you employ somebody to do OAV, you must have that person wear appropriate protective gears.

Whatever the reason, bees seem to be tougher than humans when it comes to OA vapor.

#37 ·
According to US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, the level of OA vapor “Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health” is 500 mg/cubic meter (https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/144627.html). This number is based on acute oral toxicity data in humans obtained in 1930’s (obviously they cannot experiment vapor toxicity on humans).

The short-term exposure limit to OA, set by National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, is 2 mg/cubic meter. Some of us can easily get exposed to this concentration, considering we typically use 2g (2000 mg) per one double-deep hive. This means, if you employ somebody to do OAV, you must have that person wear appropriate protective gears.

Whatever the reason, bees seem to be tougher than humans when it comes to OA vapor.
Which should tell you that this advice is directed at people who are exposed to Oxalic Acid INDOORS.
LJ

#39 · (Edited)
The reference above states the level that is an “immediate danger to your life.”

I will not expose my lungs to a vaporized chemical that is just recently seeing expanded use and has not been around long enough to expose health problems from long term use. Legal or illegal.

The limits stated do not appear to refer to vapors inhaled. It says there is no inhalation data available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.