Power For A Vaporizer - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Power For A Vaporizer

Always have it on then move downwind as soon as possible. Better to have it on and not need it then need it and not have it.
    I'm smart but at the end of the day I'm still the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    Why did the hives die? Did your queens in all 5 hives die, how long after using the "wood bleach" or product from Amazon till you knew the hives have died?
    I checked on the hives 2 days later and 3/5 were completely dead and the last 2 were 90% dead. A few days later they were fully dead. I think it was mid november when I did the treatments and I posted about it on BS; 5 pages of thread and nobody had a good explanation for me.

I use the harbor freight charger no 60653. Cost about $30 on sale. They have to be “modified” to work without a battery connected and selected to the Em Start position. The nice thing about using a charger is the package with the amp meter; etc to tell you the vaporizer is on. The cost on sale is generally less than a ~250volt amp transformer (120vac 2amp to 12vac 20amp). Harbor freight has another unit that was harder to modify a 60581 because it uses SCR’s on the output as well as a relay interlock on the 120v side. I had to replace them with diodes. Without opening up a unit, the 60653 has diodes on the output and an relay on the input. I use 6 of these units run via a timer that starts 3 units at a time with a pb. The timer runs 120vac for 3mins turns power off and times for remaining 7min for 10 min application. Mean time I get 3 more units going with a 2nd timer. By this time the 1st set is done which I move it to 3th set; etc. I have them on old wheelbarrows to move them. Note the lead motifications to to allow quick change out if unit doesn't draw amps on charger face. The timer in on the ac side with a SSR to handle the ~6 amps. Each charger peaks at ~20ADC and tapers off to ~15A while running. If meter doesn't indicated initially, have an inline receptacle sw to quick shut off change out vaporizer and restart. Takes about 20min per 3 hives to move wheelbarrow, setup the vaporizers with OA, stick in hives, cover entrances with cloth, push pb; etc. I have retired this method since I have 120vac at hives, and am using the copper cup (cucup) method. Much easier on me and the bees. Inserting and removing the plates riles and cooks some bees. I've had to stop and leave the hives when removing the plates on a mean hive. They covered my gloves and I had to smash the bees off the gloves. The cucup allows removal without the bees following the "snoot" out the small hole.

IMG_1533.jpgIMG_1531.jpgIMG_1532.jpg
    Last edited by jmobee; 11-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Been using oxalic acid for as long as approved in USA and maybe awhile before. I have used Formica acid too. Nasty to handle. Use the WVU method and make up my own pads. Back to OA. have bought pans and have made my own. Be careful as to getting too big of pans with a large cutout. It takes to long to vap I treated mine after honey removal ~ end June. I treat for a least 3 wks at 7 day space and the 4th wk sometimes for good measure. This is hot work in the heat. I try to do same in September and 1 time end October to end of November. There is no brood in winter. Try to do it again in March. I do about 40 hives and have not seen any guests death. If there are any, treating for mites is a requirement!

Anyone else have luck with one of these small lithium jump starters? Hoping to find one that doesn't turn itself off thinking that the connection is shorting out.

The price was good and I only need to do 1 or 2 hives at a time, but those darn SAFETY features are keeping me from using it to power to the vaporizer.

https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-Extern...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Last edited by adammccoy; 12-03-2019 at 11:22 PM.

I use this one from harbor freight. It works for about 3 treatments. the one drawback I've found is that the powercycle only lasts for a minute at a time, so for my vaporizer I have to hang out and push the power button 2 more times (for a total of 3 mins) to treat my 2 box hives. It recharges quickly and is lightweight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/lithiu...ack-62749.html

I know some other folks have had some luck with jump starters from Amazon. I would do a search for jump starters and see which ones they've found.

Quote Originally Posted by adammccoy View Post
    Anyone else have luck with one of these small lithium jump starters? Hoping to find one that doesn't turn itself off thinking that the connection is shorting out.

The price was good and I only need to do 1 or 2 hives at a time, but those darn SAFETY features are keeping me from using it to power to the vaporizer.

https://www.amazon.com/Arteck-Extern...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    I am assuming that you are trying to run a ~2"x2"x1/2" 12vdc "pan" heater. The ones that finish the vaporizing in ~3min draw ~15Amps at 12vdc for the 3min. With is in mind, maybe a lawn tractor battery maybe a better choice??? They are not too heavy and can be recharged with a charger.

Quote Originally Posted by jmobee View Post
    I am assuming that you are trying to run a ~2"x2"x1/2" 12vdc "pan" heater. The ones that finish the vaporizing in ~3min draw ~15Amps at 12vdc for the 3min. With is in mind, maybe a lawn tractor battery maybe a better choice??? They are not too heavy and can be recharged with a charger.
    I use the lawn tractor battery, but, it's even easier if you just leave it in the lawn tractor. Drive the tractor up to the row of hives, vaporize as many as the cable will reach, then start the tractor and move to the next set.

I have decided to buy one of these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMonPCxzog
    I have wanted one of these for home use, but now after getting hooked on the crack-pipe, (Provap-110) gotta have one!
    I love the idea of vaporizing in the quiet, rather than a generator blaring away.
    It's a bit pricey, but oh well.
    And no. I won't be buying their flimsy solar panels.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

A battery, an inverter and a charger, all in one neat and tidy package!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    A battery, an inverter and a charger, all in one neat and tidy package!
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...0-0112014p.htm

Battery, inverter, charger all in one unit, and bonus, it's got big fat leads with clamps so you can use it to jump start a vehicle too.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...0-0112014p.htm

Battery, inverter, charger all in one unit, and bonus, it's got big fat leads with clamps so you can use it to jump start a vehicle too.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0112014p.html is what I think Grozzie's link pointed to.

If I am reading it correctly only a 26 amp hour battery. 16 hours to recharge. Do they state 800 amp boost? That seems a bit optimistic...... unless maybe on a dead short?
    Frank

double post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rober; 12-07-2019 at 05:33 AM. Reason: duplicate

jnc 770.jpg
    battery jumper. I treated up to 40 w/o a recharge. handy to have for truck & tractor jumps as well. 120.00 on ebay. the model 660 is nearly the same but has real short cables.
    I tried some smaller/cheaper jump packs before buying this one. they didn't have enough *ss for the job. they were tapped out after 4-5 hives & took longer due to having less power. a friend loaned me his JNC600 which worked great. I chose the JNC 700 over the 600 mainly because it has longer cables making it better for jumping vehicles.
    Last edited by rober; 12-07-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks Rober;

I thought there must be different sized batteries in some of them otherwise things didnt add up; no free lunch.
    Frank

Correct about the "pan" heater.
    Tractor battery is a more reliable choice for sure. The small lithium starters are so dang light though. I have about 1/4 mile walk to the hives and would love to save the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    The Easy Vap is an expensive item. They cost around $700 here and need to add the mask cost as well.

The Varrox is in the $200 range and mask is less of a need(there is little vapor that escapes and one can move away from the hive after connecting the cables). They are an adequate unit for a few hives. I have a small furniture dolly that I pull around when I use 120V. The dolly works well to transport 12V battery, battery charger, and a tray containing oxalic acid, hive tool, timer, wet rags, measuring spoon, etc. Battery charger has a selection switch for 2 amp or 10 amp charge rate.
    If someone corrected this already, my apologies as I missed it.

The EZ Vap is not very expensive at all...it's about $165 with shipping.
    The Pro Vap is the expensive model.

Getting back to the topic....I bought the Harbor Freight "Tailgator" generator for $109. I run it off my tailgate with extension cord to run the EZ Vap.
    Works decently for a budget generator.
    Help is here to never misplace that hive tool again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwlSiOzgOU

The pan vaporizer generally run ~15A at 12V = ~200watts with initial cold htr inrush of ~20A. But the lawn mower battery should handle it. I have used modified Harbor Freight chargers on the switch at "start" mode. They make a nice package with meter; etc. Know that the pan is on with the meter is showing the amp draw rather than pulling a pan out and the OA is still in the pan. I have used 6 chargers and vaps in groups of 3 on a timer to shut then down in 3mins as I have written in other posts with pictures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123