Advice on finding properties to place beehives? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Advice on finding properties to place beehives?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Craigslist worked for me. Got many responses and narrowed it down after visiting the sites that sounded best after phone calls. I targeted landowners with large gardens. If you word the add correctly, highlighting free pollination and increased yields on their crops, you are proposing a win-win opportunity for them and yourself. Reduces the need to feel "obligated" to give them honey in exchange for setting up hives on their property. They receive a benefit having hives there, and a complimentary jar of honey here and there goes a long way.
    Any specific advice on what you mean by wording the ad correctly?

Most of the properties around here are residential, so how should I word it to convince a residential individual to put 20 hives in their back yard?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

20 hives at a single residential host is highly unlikely. Backyard folks are going to be in the one to two hives catagory. If you want 20 hives, try to find recreational property that is both typically uninhabited and not being farmed.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Agree completely. 20 hives in a residential area is guaranteed to create issues in the neighborhood. You will need to find someone with at least a few acres and think more like 5 hives per location. Either way you need to be looking outside of typical residential areas for folks with acreage.

Word your listing so it would attract someone with a large garden who understands the benefit of having bees close by for increased pollination and increased yields on their vegetables. State that you are planning to expand and set up another bee yard and are looking for someone with a garden or orchard who would like to have bees on their property for this purpose. If it's worded to illustrate that the benefit is theirs as a "free pollination service", you will eliminate a lot of people who would be expecting more in return from you than necessary.

I'm sure you will get numerous calls, I know I did. Be prepared to ask plenty of questions when they call to make sure you are both on the same page. Determine if the location is within your range, be clear that you would need year round access to the hives, and be sure to find out what pesticides they might use and if they would be willing to work with you on when to apply them.
    To everything there is a season....

I'm wondering if spending an hour or two with Google 'Maps' scanning your local area could prove beneficial, in giving you some idea of what possibilities might exist within a reasonable range ?
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Any other places to advertise besides craigslist that anyone here recommends?

At some point you just need to pick up the ball and run with it. A lot of communities have a local FB page or something similar. You can try there too. Put an ad together, post it here for feedback, and then get it out there.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    Any other places to advertise besides craigslist that anyone here recommends?
    My ad on a local community forum brought in exactly 0 hits.
    On the opposite, the people wanting bees advertise themselves on our local beekeeping Google group.
    I don't think many of them get any takers actually.
    I got two of my yards that way - no competition.
    HOWEVER - one other very convenient potential yard for me - I got out-competed by someone (looks like they called the owner before I did).

Overall - the best way - do the Google map research and find the BEST locations for YOU.
    Drive there and scout the location in person to be sure the locations is actually good for you.
    Then try to approach the owners directly and personally.
    The best way (per the efficiency and per the locations gained).
    I am not gonna bother doing anything else anymore.

PS: My entire round trip of the 6 yards is under 20 mile drive - because I set it up so.... need to be strategic and value your own time too.
    Last edited by GregV; 11-01-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I think it might be interesting to have a list of problems that would be hosts might envision with someone placing hives on their properties. Things like gates being left open, causing commotion with their dogs, blocking access, being critical of some of the things that often occur on a farm and best not mentioned.

I think worrying about the bees might be the lesser concern than worrying about the would be beekeeper.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    At some point you just need to pick up the ball and run with it..
    Really.
    This is not rocket science and requires no advanced degree - to be continuously going around the bush.
    Just try it the best you can and see.
    There is nothing to lose - everything to gain.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Like Mike said...Craigslist. That's where I found my best location, 100 remote acres packed with wild blackberry hedgerows.
    The others were from word of mouth. You should start talking to everyone about your bees...thing is here in Oregon, everybody wants bees in their yards, apt complexes, home owners with no land, places to remote for my access, or just way to muddy for access.
    when you go shopping talk to the cashiers, just mention how good the day/week was working the bees. I found that really starts a good convo and it gets passed around fast, well at least here in the Grants Pass, Rogue River area.
    I seriously take honey with me when I go out on my errand runs in my car, for just in case sales.
    Another real good place is the local post office on the community bulletin board we have them, maybe yours will or won't, or find a local board, at grocery stores etc. The hardware and farmer supply stores in your area, they should have community bulletin boards.
    I talk with people when I sit out on the side of the road selling honey on good weather weekends (works well for me, $300-$400 a day). I was given 2 decent pieces of property access this way.

You need to find your own gift of gab, what works for me won't work for you, were not the same. Just start talking to everyone about your bees.
    DavidZ

My local Tractor supply has a message board that you could place said note on.

I sold a bucket loader from the message board in 2 days. It sat on CL for 3 months. I do not think old school farmers are into the internet around me.

I have gotten a couple yards from word of mouth at church. Also, when I finally harvested enough honey to sell, anyone who came by the house to buy the honey, I would ask if they were local residents and if they were, I asked if they would be interested in housing a few hives. I have gotten 4 yards from that.

What month do I do this? If I do it now, it's probably too early to talk about next spring, right?
    any time of the year is a good time. discuss what you need and what the offer is. you need access and warnings about bear, skunks, spraying, shooting by the hives etc.

How am I supposed to dress, and what do I say when an angry person comes to the door after I knock?

"Hello, I want to see if you would mind if I place 20 hives on your property for a year?"
    dress "local" if the guy you talk to is in jeans and you in a suit he will feel uncomfortable, and vrs visa. I normally am in Jeans and a T shirt. Go at a time to be non-int-eruptive, timing is important. If some one interrupts my meal or a project ,I am likely to say "thank you ,no ,by". for a farm after lunch or mid day. I would be straight up and fast to the point. beat around the bush conversation, or idle chit chat , puts me on warning. I do not like being sized up and I do not have time to chit chat with total strangers , If in 5 sentences I cannot figure out what you want I am likely to turn and walk away.
    " hello , Sorry to interrupt you, I am looking for a place to put some bee hives, your farm/property looks like the right kind of place. (don't beg , make it sound like you selected his place, and if he says no then no big deal) Would you consider allowing me to place hives here?" DONE 3-4 min. have a sheet of paper along pre filled out, if there is any hesitation, offer " here is my name and phone number, think about it. I need the place in "insert month" so I do not need to know today, call me if you think it would be OK". have a nice day, by. only other question that may help is " do you know any one with some room on their land that would "Want" bees there?" My quess is 6-10 knocks would get you a yes. last time for me it took 4 times.
    Be ready for some concerns: have an answer prepared, so you do not seem looking for words.
    are you leaving a mess
    are you rutting up my plantings
    are you good at closing the gate.
    will me or my critters get stung.

Then pick a spot that is easy to get to , far from his house and barns as possible, out of sight from the road. go over swarming, enter his number in your phone so when it rings it shows "bee place #3" and you answer it. Mine has so many spoofed number trying to sell me auto warranties that I rarely answer.

Start looking where you go any way, near parents, on the way to town etc. then a quick stop in is more efficient.

The "where" is more important IMO of the several places I have had, I like the near a creek or river bottom, best, with some Hay ground close and several types of trees along the river. You get willow and maple in the spring for early pollen, and things with sap for propolsis. the wet spot will have blooms even when it is dry and you have a water source.

what are you going to say when a happy person comes to the door and says yes.
    GG

Any specific advice on what you mean by wording the ad correctly?

Most of the properties around here are residential, so how should I word it to convince a residential individual to put 20 hives in their back yard?
    Finally got a response from someone.

Sounds like they're happy to host numerous hives (which is what I need).

Haven't met them yet, but did talk to them on the phone. I can't really tell if they like me or not, I was sort of in the process of driving while I was talking to them this morning.

Are there any problems that can arise from a situation like this? This individual seemed to be OK with a large number of hives, as long as I supplied the bear fence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12