Foamboard cutting tip

Default Foamboard cutting tip

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I had to cut 2" foamboard for wrapping my hives and instead of using a utility knife with a long blade and snapping, I reached for my Japanese Pull Saw. It worked great! Quick,neat cut, and not many "particles". Only drawback is if I had to do a bunch of them, it would dull the saw. J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Foamboard cutting tip

Nice Fivej. I use a barrett style roof insulation knife which also cuts XPS insul very well.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail...SABEgKKxPD_BwE

@ treehouse: I would get one of those if I had to cut more for sure. J

Tablesaw works great. So does the bandsaw. I have used my Japanese pull saws on it and they do work pretty well. Nothing beats the table saw for a high quality edge though and my shop vac on the dust collection port gets almost all of the particles.
    Zone 6B

Ditto on the table saw with plywood blade. Edges are perfect.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Serrated bread knife.
    Has many good uses.
    Cutting foam board is one of them.
    Easily replaceable for cheap too (if worried of going dull).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Like the others with a table saw.I dont insulate hives but I have use a table saw for cutting it for other things and works great.

How do you bond pieces together?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    How do you bond pieces together?
    That depends on what you are bonding. PL8 foam board adhesive works decent for joints that don't see stress.

Sometimes I use gorilla tape. Its strong enough to take some stress and it usually lasts a winter, not very reusable though. Leaves residue.

On my hives I use two methods. The first is to just hold them in place with a ratchet strap. Use a harbor freight coupon and get them dirt cheap. A helper is a must for installing them.

The second method is one I used last year for some of my wraps. I had a bunch of 1/4" all-threaded rod left over from something else. I cut a 1/4" wide groove 1" deep in two of the boards, cut the all-thread 6" longer, pressed it into the groove, and filled the groove with spray foam. Then I drilled holes in the the other two pieces to line up with the all-thread and secured them tight around the hive with washers and wingnuts. I was able to store them flat over the summer and will reuse them this winter. I used up all the all-thread so this years new hives are back to ratchet straps.
    Zone 6B

Spray foam has worked well as an adhesive for me when bonding XPS to XPS. I am thinking of building 5 sided; slip-over boxes with a 1/2 inch clearance. I use to simply screw them on in the past with a large washer. This, screwing on interfered with quick early Spring inspections to verify queen status. Failed queens are my single biggest cause of colony loss.

My friend and co-worker and I were cutting foamboard on a table saw one day, and as he was feeding and I was taking off, I felt something hit my face. It was the tip of his finger and blood. He didn't feel a thing until I shut down the saw and pointed out he was missing a finger tip. Careful out there! J