Provap 110 and top bar hive

Default Provap 110 and top bar hive

Anyone use this device in a top bar? Any modifications needed due to the wall being angled?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Provap 110 and top bar hive

Quote Originally Posted by NJBeeVet View Post
    Anyone use this device in a top bar? Any modifications needed due to the wall being angled?
    Of my 20 hives, I only have two top bar hives and they both get treated through a quarter inch hole in the slanted wall......just like the langs......nothing special required for me.

Did you make the hole straight horizontal or diagonal perpendicular to hive wall?

I drilled the hole at a slight upward angle so that the vap devise tilts back just a bit so it doesn't contact the sidewall. It won't hang there without holding on to it. Drill several holes at different angles to see what works for you.......plug the holes that you don't like.

I vaporize into 2 different locations on my top bar hives. The vapor does not seem to move horizontally very well in the top bar hives. The two holes are 1/3 of the way from the front and from the back. That way the entire hive gets treated. I drilled the holes straight in (perpendicular) the wood. You do have to hold it for a minute but it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I vaporize into 2 different locations on my top bar hives. The vapor does not seem to move horizontally very well in the top bar hives. The two holes are 1/3 of the way from the front and from the back. That way the entire hive gets treated. I drilled the holes straight in (perpendicular) the wood. You do have to hold it for a minute but it works great.
    I agree. I also treat in two locations along the side of the hive.

Half gram each location?

Quote Originally Posted by NJBeeVet View Post
    Half gram each location?
    Yep, I split the dose of a double deep lang and shoot it twice.

Same here.

I'm slightly different from others in the post in that I treat only once at the back of the hive. I have no trouble with the vapor moving through the hive, and I will see vapor at the entrance or along any leaky top bars after treatment. I've also used the two holes method: that works also. I'm just getting lazier.

Make sure your treatment holes are *between*combs and not on one. This may sound silly (and I guess it is) but I mismeasured once. Rolled a 7. treated. 7. treated. 7. What is going on??!! Open the hive and did the Homer "Doh!" re-drilled the hole a half inch off, treated, got a 2. (I guess this demonstrates the importance of testing post-treatment... or just not shooting the OA directly into a comb.

Best of luck!

I guess one way you can assure not directly hitting a comb is poking in the hole with a drill bit or stick before putting the pipe in