Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Provap 110 and top bar hive

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  NJBeeVet 
#1 ·
Anyone use this device in a top bar? Any modifications needed due to the wall being angled?

#4 ·
I drilled the hole at a slight upward angle so that the vap devise tilts back just a bit so it doesn't contact the sidewall. It won't hang there without holding on to it. Drill several holes at different angles to see what works for you.......plug the holes that you don't like.

#5 ·
I vaporize into 2 different locations on my top bar hives. The vapor does not seem to move horizontally very well in the top bar hives. The two holes are 1/3 of the way from the front and from the back. That way the entire hive gets treated. I drilled the holes straight in (perpendicular) the wood. You do have to hold it for a minute but it works great.

#10 ·
I'm slightly different from others in the post in that I treat only once at the back of the hive. I have no trouble with the vapor moving through the hive, and I will see vapor at the entrance or along any leaky top bars after treatment. I've also used the two holes method: that works also. I'm just getting lazier.

Make sure your treatment holes are *between*combs and not on one. This may sound silly (and I guess it is) but I mismeasured once. Rolled a 7. treated. 7. treated. 7. What is going on??!! Open the hive and did the Homer "Doh!" re-drilled the hole a half inch off, treated, got a 2. (I guess this demonstrates the importance of testing post-treatment... or just not shooting the OA directly into a comb.

Best of luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.