Frame rack - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frame rack

Default Re: Frame rack

For you guys who store foundation on a rack or open box: Don't you have a problem with mice? I store mine in the hive boxes, sealed with ply on each end, or in totes. I do this for convenience but also to keep mice out. Mice here get into everything. Don't they bother your comb? I know most are talking about frames, but some are mentioning comb. J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I don't need mine in a container. They are on a shelf. I store them in empty bee boxes when available. Picture shows 20 bundles of 28 deeps (560 total) tied in bundles 20 frames wide with 8 stuck inside each bundle. I try to have a few more assembled frames than we need each year so we can sell some if asked. Thus we have frames that don't have bee boxes to go in. If I stacked them on the floor 560 would take up less floor space than 270 stored inside 10 frame boxes.... If foundation is going in them then I can't stuff the 8 inside the bundle and there would only be 400 in the picture....
    Also, I put a dot of paint the color or this year's queens on the undrawn frames I plan to use this year. Then I know how old the combs are. Easy to cull old comb when I want to.
    Happy beekeeping everybody!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fivej, combs get protected with queen excluder top and bottom for ventilation in winter when wax moths are no longer an issue. Empty frames in boxes in barn usually get plywood top and bottom. Frames in shop have not gotten mice. 😉

Thanks Amibusiness. I hate mice. J

Quote Originally Posted by houseofcakes View Post
    Thanks! Will pick up a couple next time I'm near a Target that has them. Looks like the closest one does not.

I have a garden building that has a high roof section. I attached pipes out from the rafters so that the ends hang out. It's just the right height to slip the assembled frames on to the pipes. I have foundationless frames with a wedge guide so this is perfect for me. So far the weight has not been a problem.
    I also have the pipes spaced apart in a way that allows me to hang medium boxes too.
    IMG_3514.jpg

I also use the clear plastic tubs to store my drawn comb. I run them through the freezer first and then store them in the tubs inside the garden building that has a clear polycarbonate wall so they get tons of winter sun. IMG_3962.jpgIMG_3605.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Bourn View Post
    I have a garden building that has a high roof section. I attached pipes out from the rafters so that the ends hang out. It's just the right height to slip the assembled frames on to the pipes. I have foundationless frames with a wedge guide so this is perfect for me. So far the weight has not been a problem.
    I also have the pipes spaced apart in a way that allows me to hang medium boxes too.
    IMG_3514.jpg
    Thats great. I came up with the same idea in my head and others are already doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amibusiness View Post
    I don't need mine in a container. They are on a shelf. I store them in empty bee boxes when available. Picture shows 20 bundles of 28 deeps (560 total) tied in bundles 20 frames wide with 8 stuck inside each bundle. I try to have a few more assembled frames than we need each year so we can sell some if asked. Thus we have frames that don't have bee boxes to go in. If I stacked them on the floor 560 would take up less floor space than 270 stored inside 10 frame boxes.... If foundation is going in them then I can't stuff the 8 inside the bundle and there would only be 400 in the picture....
    Also, I put a dot of paint the color or this year's queens on the undrawn frames I plan to use this year. Then I know how old the combs are. Easy to cull old comb when I want to.
    Happy beekeeping everybody!
    Impressive. You're on a much bigger scale than I'll ever see.

Live on a gravel road, work in a dust factory (literally, ground calcium carbonate) wife gardens and we heat with wood. Containers are a necessity for anything that needs to stay clean.

So leave in the box and put a cover of some type on them when you stack them. Of course the bees will clean anything out that they donít like.

I find all my "extra" frames fit in a nice small area unassembled. And those that are assembled, just happen to "strangely enough", just fit right in my empty hive bodies. And bodies without bees get stacked in a dry shed, capped top and bottom with a sheet of plywood matching the body perimeter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12