Frame rack
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame rack

Default Frame rack

So Ive quickly realized that new bee frames that are put together ready to use are a real pain to store.If I put them on a shelf they are awkward and take up a whole lot of space. I've come up with a rack system I'm going to build soon. Before I build it I was wondering if anyone had photos or ideas on ways to store frames? My idea is just to have boards sticking out from the wall maybe 2 feet at a slight angle and I can hang them on that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Frame rack

I just load the frames into boxes and stack the boxes to store them. If you do stack them alternating top-bottom-top does allow you to stack them more densely.

edit: if you alternate when they are not in a box it is more dense

One of my planned projects this winter is to build a shelf unit consisting of open runners about 18" apart to hang the finished frames on. Entire unit will be sized to hold betrween100 and 200 deep frames and 100 medium frames.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I use a small commercial greenhouse as a workshop, and just above head-height it has 'crop support wires' which run the full length (60 ft.) of the greenhouse. So - I hang unused frames slung between two of these parallel wires. This winter I'm trialling a handful of drawn combs as well using this method of storage - just to see if the exposure to light affects the outcome. I ain't holding my breath on this one, but I thought it was worth trying ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

I'm thinking we're on the same page. I think I'm going to attach horizontal 2x4's to the wall,drill 1"holes in the 2x4's, then stick 3/4" pvc pipe in the holes.( outside dimension of the pipe is 1") The holes would be drilled downwards so the pvc would angle up a bit. I could then slide the frames on the pipes. I use fishing line on my frames. I checked today and the 1"pvc would fit perfectly between the fishing line and the wood on the frame. I'll post a pic when the project is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    I use a small commercial greenhouse as a workshop, and just above head-height it has 'crop support wires' which run the full length (60 ft.) of the greenhouse. So - I hang unused frames slung between two of these parallel wires. This winter I'm trialling a handful of drawn combs as well using this method of storage - just to see if the exposure to light affects the outcome. I ain't holding my breath on this one, but I thought it was worth trying ...
    LJ
    My first thought was doing something like this with wire.

I don't build frames until I have a bee box to put them in. The beginners in the club are always talking about buying plastic totes for frames at Costco. Mine spend their lifetime in a bee box.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I to am with odfrank. I never understood why anyone would store frames out of their box.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    I to am with odfrank. I never understood why anyone would store frames out of their box.
    Maybe I didnt make it clear. I am referring to new frames that I just put together that have no foundation (I dont use foundation). I need to put together about 150 frames for next year. They take up a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I don't build frames until I have a bee box to put them in. The beginners in the club are always talking about buying plastic totes for frames at Costco. Mine spend their lifetime in a bee box.
    I'm referring to brand new frames (foundationless)that have not been used before. I need to put together at least 150 for next year.

I too put them in boxes that are not being used. The boxes are compact, the frames will not fall out when you least expect them to, and the frames are easy to move when in boxes. The only time I have lots of extra frames is when I am getting ready to sell nucs and then I store them in the empty nuc boxes. If you have 150 frames, they will need to go into boxes eventually. Why not get the boxes now?

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    I too put them in boxes that are not being used. The boxes are compact, the frames will not fall out when you least expect them to, and the frames are easy to move when in boxes. The only time I have lots of extra frames is when I am getting ready to sell nucs and then I store them in the empty nuc boxes. If you have 150 frames, they will need to go into boxes eventually. Why not get the boxes now?
    I understand, but even if I wasnt selling nucs, there are needs for new frames all summer long. Making splits,removing bad comb,honey bound hives etc. I stored frames (new) in boxes I wasnt using this past year and I'm tired of having to move boxes around just to get new frames out of them. Eventually I used those boxes... I'm not going to keep new boxes around just to store frames in. What happens when I've got all the hives I can handle? I can't build boxes just to store frames. As far as why I dont go ahead and get the boxes. I build my own boxes. I will build the boxes this winter when work is slow. I see no downside to building a rack to store new empty frames.

rack.jpg

As you can see, I dont make things purty, I make them functional. This will hold a minimum of 120 frames plus its in a corner of my shop that was wasted space. Piece o cake. BTW. I used conduit rather than pvc.

Robere, I am in the same boat as you. Last year I was able to store my extra frames in the boxes in which they would eventually be used. Now that I have reached my 20 hive goal, I need frames only for nuc sales. I use foundationless also so the frames need to be assembled, a startrer strip put in and waxed, and then strung with fishing line. Next spring when I make my splits, I will need all 100 frames ready to go.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 10-22-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Robere, I am in the same boat as you. Last year I was able to store my extra frames in the boxes in which they would eventually be used. Now that I have reached my 20 hive goal, I need frames only for nuc sales. I use foundationless also so the frames need to be assembled, a startrer strip put in and waxed, and then strung with fishing line. Next spring when I make my splits, I will need all 100 frames ready to go.
    I too was ok with just my shelf and boxes for storing frames until this year. I ran about 80 nucs and 30 two frame nucs this year. Storing new frames was one of my biggest problems. Next year will be many more hives. Not to mention,every time I sell a nuc, there goes 5 frames out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    ... every time I sell a nuc, there goes 5 frames out the door.
    And it's not just 'frames', but frames with drawn combs - and for me, that's why I need a supply of frames (most usefully made in the Winter) on hand, ready to go. Ready-built frames good, with drawn combs even better.
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Robere one more use for my old junk boxes. Old boxes get made into shims, candy boards in a pinch a hive stand.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Have the 'beginners' found one that fits frames without a lot of wasted space? 18 gallon Sterilite from Walmart is not ideal, but will work. Also have looked for a storage container for foundation. Nothing even close, a tiny bit too small or way too large. Need to keep these in the house so even more important to minimize wasted space.

Live on a gravel road, work in a dust factory (literally, ground calcium carbonate) wife gardens and we heat with wood. Containers are a necessity for anything that needs to stay clean.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    So Ive quickly realized that new bee frames that are put together ready to use are a real pain to store.If I put them on a shelf they are awkward and take up a whole lot of space. I've come up with a rack system I'm going to build soon. Before I build it I was wondering if anyone had photos or ideas on ways to store frames? My idea is just to have boards sticking out from the wall maybe 2 feet at a slight angle and I can hang them on that.
    I ran 3/4" strips ripped from studs and suspended them perpendicular from the garage rafters. Have hundreds of frames suspended there---with and without foundation or comb. It works for me and keeps them out of the way and still accessible.

Have the 'beginners' found one that fits frames without a lot of wasted space? 18 gallon Sterilite from Walmart is not ideal, but will work. Also have looked for a storage container for foundation. Nothing even close, a tiny bit too small or way too large. Need to keep these in the house so even more important to minimize wasted space.

Live on a gravel road, work in a dust factory (literally, ground calcium carbonate) wife gardens and we heat with wood. Containers are a necessity for anything that needs to stay clean.
    This one works for me:
    https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-3...s/-/A-51872701

I did a bunch of research on containers and sizes and found these. They fit 10-12 frames (depending on how you stack them) and nest and stack well. They are also pretty air and moisture-tight so I can store drawn comb. One box will fit in my freezer to kill moths (which is also why I want an airtight box). I'm bummed to use so much plastic but I want to protect my frames. I'll see how they last and if they are durable if I drop it (this will happen lol). I'm in the City so I also have to go on my roof for my bees which means climbing up a ladder and these boxes are small profile enough to hoist up and down in a bag (and have a good handhold) because the height of the box is basically the height of the frame. It drives me nuts when you have the frames in a box and they slip out. They are impossible to carry and are messy like this.

Hth,
    Karen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast