How to store pulled Supers for the winter in warmer climates.

Default How to store pulled Supers for the winter in warmer climates.

I am cleaning up things and hear that Moth Balls are the best thing to use if you do not have a freezer.

How do you do it and how do you get rid of the smell in the spring if you use moth balls.

I do not have but about 8-9 boxes full of pulled frames.

Other Ideas?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How to store pulled Supers for the winter in warmer climates.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I am cleaning up things and hear that Moth Balls are the best thing to use if you do not have a freezer.

How do you do it and how do you get rid of the smell in the spring if you use moth balls.

I do not have but about 8-9 boxes full of pulled frames.

Other Ideas?

Thanks
    NEVER USE MOTHBALLS!
    They leave a residual trace amount in the wax that will never decay. Your best bet is to use a Bt/water mixture and spray both sides of the frames. Here is a link for purchasing Bt: https://www.7springsfarm.com/xentari...e-bt-1-lb-bag/

Use queen excluders, keep your honey super frames brood and pollen frames. In my area wax moths do not infest white combs, even when they have had cycle of brood in them. I have 45 year old extracting combs I just store in a tight room.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

stack your boxes on a flat board 3 or 4 tall. Put a plate on top of the stack with your para dichlorobenzene crystals. Then put a flat cover over the top. The vapors are heaver than air and will drop down and fill the boxes. Check back and replace crystals as required. When spring comes air out the boxes for a couple of days to a week.

There are other that can help you better. That's what I have read and been taught by others to do.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 10-20-2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Remove reference to moth balls.

What about cedar chips? If you put moth ball in the closet and people have a cedar closet to keep the moths out would they work for stored pulled honey frames and boxes?

The more I read the more it gets confusing.

I see the moth crystals with the para dichlorobenzine with good and bad opinions.

Lot of people like the Cretan, B401, Xentari/ Bta which all appear to be the same but it seems to be out of stock in different names.

Freezer is not big enough.

What do you use?

According to the Certified Naturally Grown requirements (if that certification is important to you), you cannot use moth crystals. Bt on the other hand, is perfectly legitimate. Vegetable growers that use Bt can still get a USDA Organic certification. I would recommend the Bt route. I mix 3 teaspoons per gallon and lightly spray both sides of the frame. Tap off the excess and let the frames dry. It is very effective on wax moths but it doesn't work on SHB.