Caged queen killed

Default Caged queen killed

I had a nuc go queen less so I decided to combine it with a smaller nuc that was queen right. I thought I was doing right so I caged the queen in the smaller nuc and then did a newspaper combine 2 days ago I looked to day and the queen was in the cage dead. So I took another queen out of a nuc and caged her and put her in the nuc. I hope the 2nd time around does it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Caged queen killed

What you are describing is classic for the "queenless" nuc to have a queen that is simply no longer laying. The stronger nuc viewed the caged queen as unecessary and killed her by stinging through the cage. I would check on the queen you just put in. The queenless nuc could also have laying workers, but the end result is the same. Good luck.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I thought the same thing JW I have checked the new queen several times to day and they are not showing any aggression toward this new queen

I ordered a new queen for a hive I was sure was queenless, I had been checking it for the last two weeks, and no sign of anything, SO I installed the new queen, and came back 2 days later to check, and saw Larvae.
    Then I discovered some empty queen cells that had emerged in there. So I ended up putting the new queen in another hive I think is queenless, this time I shook the whole hive through an excluder
    It's all on Youtube if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC