Hello from eastern North Carolina

Default Hello from eastern North Carolina

Hi everyone.
    My daughter and I have been beekeepers for about 4 years, but many days in the yard I feel like Iím a complete novice. I started with two hives 6 years ago and had a disastrous first two years. I wanted to give it up (too heartbreaking to lose bees to your own ineptitude!) but my daughter, who had been a bystander in all that begged me to keep trying, and promised to fully partner with me in the endeavor. She signed up and took the NC Bee School with me again at our local club, and has been such a help as we work through the many, many questions and challenges together. We now have 5 hives in the apiary, but have varied from two to eight as conditions warrant combining or splitting. I often think of how new beekeepers are always encouraged to start with two hives, not one, and would like to add that new beekeepers would also do well to start out with a partner: two heads really are better than one in the bee yard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hello from eastern North Carolina

Welcome to THE FORUM. Take a step back and let them be bees. Keep them dry, ventilated, treated for mites especially in the fall and have food/water sources nearby. Make sure the queen has space to lay and have supers on when the flow starts (red maples show color) and leave them alone. I'm still a novice too. Keep working on it....

Hello from the Piedmont
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

Welcome. Nice that your daughter is doing bees with you, lots of good memories you’ll have.
    Proverbs 16:24

Beekeeping is good family fun. About half of our bee club (TAR RIVER BEEKEEPERS) are teams; moms/daughters, husband/wife, grandfather/grandson. We meet once a month for potluck dinner and a meeting... a guest is always welcome.

Welcome, and good luck with your bees!
    Rod