Kickstarter-related posts

Default Kickstarter-related posts

It's occurred to me that Kickstarter-related posts are essentially a form of advertising of some kind of product, and perhaps ought to be banned in forums other than 'For Sale'.

So - just thought I'd air the idea to see what others think about this ...
    LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Kickstarter-related posts

Kickstarter related posts are not sales though. They are inherently community driven.

Also, I would think linking to this thread in another thread is pretty rude: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...=1#post1761085

I will be discussing with the other moderators what the Beesource policy on Kickstarter projects will be going forward. For now, let's keep it low key. Beesource is not really the place to be soliciting donations, but we started down that slippery slope with the Bee Health Guru kickstarter project. Maybe a specific forum in the future.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by IWASHERE View Post
    Kickstarter related posts are not sales though. They are inherently community driven.

Also, I would think linking to this thread in another thread is pretty rude: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...=1#post1761085
    Kickstarter projects take money off people and provide something in return for that money - that's the principle of selling. If you post about that sort of activity, then you're clearly advertising it. Advertising is not normally permitted on forums other than 'For Sale', and yet Kickstarter-related posts - which as you are presently witnessing elsewhere - are often not well received on BeeSource.

I linked to here from one of your posts as you have posted two Kickstarter-related posts today, and may well have posted others in the past. It's difficult to know this for sure, for although your post count was 20 when I started this thread, only today's 2 posts could be listed under your user activity - so what happened to the others ?

You're entitled to make comments about 'being rude' of course - that's the beauty of this forum, that people are allowed to freely express their views (subject to reasonable conduct, of course) - just as I have done.

Spare me the 'community' BS - both of your posts are about selling something in exchange for money - and I for one think you ought to be paying for the privilege of advertising, although I'd much prefer Kickstarter-related posts be banned as I've yet to see any posted on BeeSource which were halfway credible.
    LJ

PS. Having just seen JWP's post, I won't be making any further comments on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by little_john View Post
    Kickstarter projects take money off people and provide something in return for that money - that's the principle of selling. If you post about that sort of activity, then you're clearly advertising it. Advertising is not normally permitted on forums other than 'For Sale', and yet Kickstarter-related posts - which as you are presently witnessing elsewhere - are often not well received on BeeSource.

I linked to here from one of your posts as you have posted two Kickstarter-related posts today, and may well have posted others in the past. It's difficult to know this for sure, for although your post count was 20 when I started this thread, only today's 2 posts could be listed under your user activity - so what happened to the others ?

You're entitled to make comments about 'being rude' of course - that's the beauty of this forum, that people are allowed to freely express their views (subject to reasonable conduct, of course) - just as I have done.

Spare me the 'community' BS - both of your posts are about selling something in exchange for money - and I for one think you ought to be paying for the privilege of advertising, although I'd much prefer Kickstarter-related posts be banned as I've yet to see any posted on BeeSource which were halfway credible.
    LJ

PS. Having just seen JWP's post, I won't be making any further comments on this issue.
    I didn't post 2 kickstarter posts. The other post I made is for a beekeeping series I did which I was asked to share here. It isn't related to the kickstarter.

You'd have to define credible to have a discussion of it.

Also, if you notice the page I posted isn't to the kickstarter. It's to the info on it, so there is literally no way for me to get money for sharing the link to what I've built. That pretty much invalidates your entire argument on advertising.

What I shared is of the same quality as people who share blog posts and the like, and it shouldn't be grouped into anything like you've described.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I will be discussing with the other moderators what the Beesource policy on Kickstarter projects will be going forward. For now, let's keep it low key. Beesource is not really the place to be soliciting donations, but we started down that slippery slope with the Bee Health Guru kickstarter project. Maybe a specific forum in the future.
    Sounds fair. I just want to note that what I shared today was not to a kickstart, and wasn't asking for money. I just wanted to share the thing I've been making and working on.

After some delay, there is now a sub-forum where Kickstarter, FundRazr, GoFundMe type threads can be found. Here is the sub-forum link:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/for...-FundRazr-etc)

"Funding Request" threads that are not started in that sub-forum (and threads that may not be actual "live" Kickstarter etc campaigns, but are promoting such) are likely to get moved to this sub-forum as Moderators come across those threads.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-30-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    After some delay, there is now a sub-forum where Kickstarter, FundRazr, GoFundMe type threads can be found. Here is the sub-forum link:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/for...-FundRazr-etc)

"Funding Request" threads that are not started in that sub-forum (and threads that may not be actual "live" Kickstarter etc campaigns, but are promoting such) are likely to get moved to this sub-forum as Moderators come across those threads..
    Nice one - a creative solution to an awkward problem.

However, there may be a possible loophole here - so just to clarify - does this policy extend to those threads which although not directly requesting funding within the thread itself, do contain advertising or a similar promotion of live or future Kickstarter (or Kickstarter-type) projects by being included within a person's signature ?
    LJ

I know the post you are referring to and am hoping to address this issue with the poster.

Suppose you have a link to your website in your signature line. Suppose on that website you offer items for sale, but do not mention those items in the body of your post. Does that mean every one of your posts must now appear in the "For Sale" sub forum? Some slopes aren't just slippery, they are downright treacherous.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I agree - it's tough one - I guess it's all about what's reasonable and fair, and what's not really in the 'spirit of the forum' ...

Who'd be a moderator ... ?
    LJ