new beehive designed to stop bees from dying over winter, and to have 24/7 monitoring - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: new beehive designed to stop bees from dying over winter, and to have 24/7 monito

I have read all posts related to this topic. Very informative. I am a commercial beekeeper in Central Valley of California since 1998. After having multiple years of winter hive mortality, partly because of moisture, I finally discovered that drilling two 3/8" holes on the sides of my lids solved all moisture/ventilation issues I previously had.
    I agree that we beekeepers do not need a better bee hive construction to successfully manage our colonies. Bee box, lid, and pallet weight all are factors that commercial beekeepers keep in mind when having to maximize a load on their flatbed trucks as we often exceed the overloaded point. Some commercial beek's actually are managing single story hives in winter season now to be able to transport more hives per load.

I personally look forward to the day when researchers, techies, and the like minded can make a sensor to keep track of Varroa populations; this is how we can better manage our honey bees. What an awesome tool this would be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: new beehive designed to stop bees from dying over winter, and to have 24/7 monito

Quote Originally Posted by Hankinohio18 View Post
    What kind of hive is this guy actually selling? What does it look like?, how does it work?. Why do I need to provide an e-mail address to get any info on it?
    Well....one has to assume (a little tongue in cheek) that if it's 4000X better insulated than wood it's going to be an insulated wall + vacuum of some sort.....sorta a "thermos" hive. Or maybe it's the worlds first Aerogel hive! Wouldn't that be cool? You could observe the bees without ever opening the hive and you'd never need your smoker (heh heh......see what I did there? Aerogel is often described as "solid smoke"!!)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345