Wax Moths

Thread: Wax Moths

Default Wax Moths

Froze frames with wax moth larvae. The moths are stuck on the frames after freezing. Is there a method to get those larvae off the frames other than plucking them one by one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax Moths

Stick the supers back on your hives for a few days. The bees should clean them out. They would probably appreciate the added protein.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Stick the supers back on your hives for a few days. The bees should clean them out. They would probably appreciate the added protein.
    I would not recommend that as frames may get reinfested if moths are still active. Therefore, you may need to freeze them again. Bees will clean them up when they are placed back in the hives in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by fatoz View Post
    I would not recommend that as frames may get reinfested if moths are still active. Therefore, you may need to freeze them again. Bees will clean them up when they are placed back in the hives in the spring.
    It it's a strong hive, they'll take care of wax moths. The bigger deal is how to store them once they're off the hive and somewhere else. I store them up top of my barn but the moths don't care so I have to use BT.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Checked my hive yesterday found wax moth larva clustered in one area on one frame, cut out that area killed the larva My question is can I still use
    para dichloro benzene, I know the EU has banned it but I am in the US

I have never seen clusters of wax moths larvae. That's not to say it doesn't happen. I have, however, seen large clusters of SHB larvae.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.