Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Layens Hive Spring Feeding

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  GregB 
#1 ·
I am thinking about building a few Layen's hives this winter, I know Dr. Leo advocates local bee's, no feed, no treatment, he also speaks of his honey quality. I have been running 10 frame Langstroth hives for the last 2 years. where the general rule is, no honey super on during feeding. So with that, what is the general feeding rule for horizonals during spring build up and/or swarm catching. I searched the forums for information and didn't come across anything, if I missed anything I do apologize. Any help would be greatly welcome and appreciated.

Bee's are in the Missouri Ozarks.

#2 ·
........ what is the general feeding rule for horizonals during spring build up and/or swarm catching. .........Bee's are in the Missouri Ozarks.
So you are in the Ozarks (pretty much - South).
Hopefully, you got some of those feral bees then (a prerequisite for the Leo's talks and stuff to work - "....local bee's, no feed, no treatment,....").
You have to figure out your own bee situation, before you follow his philosophy.

My "spring build-up" feeding means:
- the bees just keep eating the dry sugar during the cold weather (if have to, especially this is important for the weak units - they just stick to the ceiling and will not move side-ways - too cold);
- otherwise, they have enough honey in the frames;
- they also have frame(s) of honey available just outside of the follower boards (they can get them only during the warm days);

During the "swarm catching" there is no feeding.
I will give 1-2 frames of junk leftovers to a swarm to latch onto and get cleaned up and fixed up.
There is usually enough old honey/pollen for them to eat for 2-3 days of rain, if have to.
But otherwise, the swarms fly during foraging time - no need to feed.

#3 ·
So you are in the Ozarks (pretty much - South).
Hopefully, you got some of those feral bees then (a prerequisite for the Leo's talks and stuff to work - "....local bee's, no feed, no treatment,....").
You have to figure out your own bee situation, before you follow his philosophy.

Oh for sure my current stock will maintain the normal feedings and langstroth management.

I have 15 swarm traps ready for spring placement. I will be working on the layens hives and frames this winter, in the hopes that the traps will pay off.

Thank you for the quick response and information!

#4 ·
I would place the traps around Leo's property and see what turns up.
He claims to be letting the swarms go.
:D

PS: your own bees will live in the Layen's just as well;
make a couple of splits into those and see what works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.