Queen on top of frame

Default Queen on top of frame

Did a winterizing check up today on the hives and when I opened up one hive the queen was on top of one of the frames.. workers finally coaxed her back down the frame and unto foundation... there was some slight robbing trying to happen but nothing I personally was too concerned with. Has anyone seen this before?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

She’s in a five over five Palmer style setup.

Default Re: Queen on top of frame

At one time or another the queen is in every inch of the colony where she has access. She just spends MOST of her time in the brood nest.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you Michael Bush! Seems kind obvious now ha ha ha! Thanks again!

I was removing top feeders one day and propped the feeder up against a nearby hive. A little later I say a big clump of bees on the feeder. Turns out the queen was on the miller feeder when I pulled it off... I've even found a queen in the next door hive or walking around on the cover of her hive. But these are rare.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksotherhoney View Post
    Did a winterizing check up today on the hives and when I opened up one hive the queen was on top of one of the frames.. workers finally coaxed her back down the frame and unto foundation... there was some slight robbing trying to happen but nothing I personally was too concerned with. Has anyone seen this before?
    Not only that.
    What about a queen walking out of the hive; getting some morning sun on the front wall; then returning back inside.
    Just like that.
    Do not have a picture of that - some shame.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.