Global Warming
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Default Global Warming

My mentor, a 40 year bee keeper from the northern reaches of the USA, told me if you took a farmer and hit him really hard over the head with a fence post you'd have a bee keeper. It used to be easy before varroa came along.
    Well, it seems that adage holds true. So many here deny global warming, it's led me to believe there are lots of fence posts flying and hitting slow people in the head.
    The science is clear. Global warming is here, it is affecting every life on the planet and if you refuse to accept this fact you've been hit by too many fence posts. For those wondering, one fence post is too many.
    Wake Up!

Lee
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Global Warming

Whether I agree with you or not, I am not sure what your goal is in posting.

If you hoping to convince someone who is not on your side, you probably won't. If you hoping to offend someone who is not on your side, you probably will.

I think the biggest problem with the " global warming" debate is not whether one can prove that the planet is getting warmer (or colder as was proven a short 40 years ago), but that it is man made and not part of an on going and never ending cycle of natural temperature fluctuatuons. Having a similar set of people who have been hit by fence posts tell us that by taking money out of our collective wallets they will fix the problem is beyond ridiculous.

Personally, I am for clean energy. But I am also for a robust economy. Cutting off this nation's supply of inexpesive energy while alternative sources are still being developed is a sure fire way to assure that China, who is the the worlds largest polluter, takes over.

Keep the discussion civil, and know that no matter how vehemently you argue your point, for or against, you are unlikely to change anyone's mind.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

As far as I know the cheapeake bay used to be a glacier, well I looked outside this morning and Grins is right as the glacier is gone. Now how did that happen if there was no global warming.

Any one have a recent fishing report from Lake Agassiz?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

We do not have to agree on the cause of Global warming to find some common ground. Remember the 70's gas lines. Do we want to be an energy vulnerable economy? Is energy source diversity a sound goal? Do you want the cost of a fill up to depend upon the latest middle east crazie?

China is far more invested in "green energy" than the US. Do you think they are on this path because of economics or ecology?

The NE is the most heavily dependent on #2 home heating oil region in the country. What we suck down directly impacts your diesel price. Why would you resist efforts to convert to heat pumps for part of that load? Really not a communist plot. Or a scientist plot. Or a left wing liberal plot. (Pist! I really just want you to think it is not.)
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

We don't have to do anything; the problem will take care of itself! We do however, have to live with the consequences!

Exponential growth chasing depleting finite resources does not project a happy ending. The default position for humans is to live for the present. Many feel this is hard wired into us; the nature of the beast!

If that is the case we have an extremely complex problem to deal with.
    Frank

Bet we can find common ground here;

LIHEAP a federal program that helps the low income stay in their homes. Been going on for 20-30 ? years. Buys oil to help out, does not fund better windows, insulation or a better furnace. Your tax dollars literally going out the global warming windows. Pay and repeat each year. Keeps people less cold, not warm.
    Could provide loans with a mechanics lien due upon sale.

Save taxes and save the environment.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

I find it somewhat amusing that some of our politicians that are outspoken proponents of the doom and gloom of global warming are currently buying beachfront property worth millions of dollars. One would think if they believed so strongly, they would be buying "soon to be" beachfront property several miles inland.

Sea levels rise and sea levels fall. What we call the continental shelf was once shoreline, now 600 ' underwater. The reality is that humans have been adapting to a change in climate for tens of thousands of years. I have no doubt we will continue to do so.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

From someone who has been hit by too many fence post. First science has been wrong many times in the past. Even in beekeeping, every researcher said Varro mites feed on the bees hemolymph. Well what do you know "WRONG" Now " science" tells us that the mites feed on the bees fat bodies. The earth has cooled and warmed in the past when man could not have possibly been the reason, so this time when the earth warms it's the fault of man? If science determined the earth was cooling, would the answer be burn more fossil fuel and add CO2 to the atmosphere? I'll bet that wouldn't be considered a solution. Then there is the carbon credit market, lets you produce carbon pollution as long as you pay for it. Bet a few people get to be really wealthy with this idea. China and Green energy, Please. China is so polluted, they have no choice but to try and reduce the pollution just so they can live from day to day. The green energy in China has nothing to do with climate change. Back to science, remember the global warming hockey stick model. When the acceleration of warming didn't happen, science had to develop a excuse such as the oceans being a heat sink and when that didn't work they just ignored the hockey stick model and changed the name to climate change so no matter what happens now, they can never be wrong. The climate is warming and even if it is caused by man, no one is ever going to make me believe all the dooms day scenarios. Some bad things will happen and some good things will happen. Deal with it. Science has never been right about predicting the future because that just is not the definition of science and that won't change no matter how many times I get hit with that fence post.

Hell when I was a kid somewhere back in the dark ages we had drummed into us every day about how soil erosion was going to denude the planet of top soil and we were all going to starve so about 70 years down that road we still seem to have topsoil and from the size of the average citizen they seem to be starving pretty good. But once the globalists with the aid of the global warming crowd eventually scare everybody into being run by the United Nations I have good news and bad news, the good news is when that comes to pass we will all be eating crab grass and the bad news is there will not be enough to go around.

Using terms such as "deniers" or"believers" and then citing science is confusing.
    Is "global warming" a belief system or scientific theory?
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Using terms such as "deniers" or"believers" and then citing science is confusing.
    Is "global warming" a belief system or scientific theory?
    Neither, it's a fact. You either accept it or you don't.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

We are in a mass extinction as well caused in large part by human caused global warming. There are no prizes for being the last species to die off. The Earth does not need us, we need the Earth. Many of us throughout the world are happily plodding along refusing to accept the facts before our eyes and proving our unfitness to survive as a species.

Here is a link to a very different approach to getting nature back in balance. Throws a far different light on the notion that being vegetarian is noble or that cow farts are killing us with greenhouse gasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTH...RLtXtP-4XO-aic

If this fellow is a BS'r he is a smooth one! Thoughts?
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    We are in a mass extinction as well caused in large part by human caused global warming. There are no prizes for being the last species to die off. The Earth does not need us, we need the Earth. Many of us throughout the world are happily plodding along refusing to accept the facts before our eyes and proving our unfitness to survive as a species.
    Mass extinction, Now you are just being ridiculous. Its one thing to want to improve the environment and live in a world as clean as possible, but believing such hyperbole will never advance the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorjet View Post
    Mass extinction, Now you are just being ridiculous. Its one thing to want to improve the environment and live in a world as clean as possible, but believing such hyperbole will never advance the discussion.
    It needs to be part of the conversation because the two are very much related. Unawareness does not alter the facts.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sign...inction-2019-3

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    There is apparently and inexhaustible number of those who believe in the HOAX and UNSUBSTANTIATED BS of "Global Warming". Melanie Phillips I agree has a MUCH more accurate term for this faux crisis. "Extinction of Reasoning" you might indulge yourself in some extracurricular reading and then verify the references for yourself.......you might learn something and come to the realization that Global Warming is a BS HOAX.

https://www.melaniephillips.com/extinction-of-reason/

There is FAR more to anthropogenic changes in climate than the radical extremist line of carbon emissions. Not to mention what MANY believe is the main goal behind pushing "Global Warming" propaganda. Karl Marx and Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov also known as Vladimir Lenin have written extensively on this topic.

The Earth's climate has been in a continuous state of change from its beginning and I expect it will continue to do so with or without human intervention.

I remember my 5th grade teacher, that was 1968, giving a lecture on how, since the last ice age, the temperature of the planet has been slowly rising. That in time, maybe millions of years, there would be another ice age, as the earth has constantly gone from cooling to heating to cooling again.

I believe it's the politicians, playing games to scare the public, and to capitalize on a normal, cyclic event, just like claiming 'cow farts' are part of the problem. I hate pollution as much as anyone, but it pisses me off that the 'Air Quality' nazis have banned wood burning in certain cities, counties, MAKING people dependent on public utilities, and then when electricity goes out in the middle of winter, literally leaving people in the cold.

Okay, I'll get down off the soap box, and let someone else get on it.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast