Global Warming - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Global Warming

Default Re: Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by Amibusiness View Post
    Were the Soviets (and others) correct in just killing off people with special needs or do they also have a right to a human existence?
    A myth.
    Get educated on this.

True - the Soviets did NOT invest so much money into the "special needs" as the US does (very inefficiently, at that).
    Nor would they try to save an unhealthy child at all costs (of course, the technology was not quite there either).

(Per my observation, the current system in the US is not sustainable; it will crash and burn; amount of special ed support personnel/programming in the general schools is just not sustainable when practice on person-by-person basis without much consolidation).

Instead, they institutionalized the special needs into few centralized places - less human, but much more efficient and cheap.
    For example, any kid in my village of the USSR era was sent off into a regional institution where they received specialized care and specialized education.
    But this could be less human (unless the parents are alcoholics, then maybe the institution is MORE human????).

Add the corruption into the mix (where allocated funds get stolen away) - which makes the institutions even less human (like starving the institutionalized persons, simply put).
    That's the brief Soviet recourse.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Agreed salty. But the thinking that we will be better off if we can automate so we have fewer employees is akin to the thinking that perpetuates slums. I am not opposed to modernization and automation. I just wish that the humans be considered above profits. And if we had to pay the full price when we bought something rather than just production cost the competition would not put responsible companies out of business. I realize this is going I be hard to do because of corruption. However, part of r+d on anything should be it's long term effect so that can be factored into price. White collar crime costs society far more than drug crimes (look at war on drugs and whites trying to control jazz age for a connection). And yet white collar criminals bear far less consequences. If the people responsible for any missdeeds had to bear the price, and consumer products also had to be priced bearing resposibility, we may it need a social net because no one is being taken advantage of.
    As an example to connect these dots: when the new Americans made treaties with the old Americans and saw that they were still successful, they broke their treaties again and again (and "educated" them in a way to dehumanize them) until practically a slum was created. And now we say that it is their fault and they just have to figure out how to clean it up. Happens to blacks all the time too.
    So automation based on improving all society is good. Automation based on greed someone else will have to pay for, not so good.

Thanks for correcting me, Greg. I know you know more about it than I. I "learned" somewhere that Soviets (as well as Germans and no doubt others (us?) did medical experiments and such on disabled people. That may all be wrong. Much that I was taught has turned out that way....
    Nevertheless, the point was that humans deserve / have a right to a human existence. Many populations have been denied that. So writing someone off as having a low IQ (or other religion or anything else) and therefore being expendable and not deserving of societal protections is not a way forward imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Amibusiness View Post
    Thanks for correcting me, Greg. I know you know more about it than I. I "learned" somewhere that Soviets (as well as Germans and no doubt others (us?) did medical experiments and such on disabled people. That may all be wrong. Much that I was taught has turned out that way....
    Nevertheless, the point was that humans deserve / have a right to a human existence. Many populations have been denied that. So writing someone off as having a low IQ (or other religion or anything else) and therefore being expendable and not deserving of societal protections is not a way forward imho.
    No problem.
    Most all humans deserve a honorable life (save for a few criminals).
    Not fancy, not excessive, not fealty rich - just basic and honorable life.
    Getting my education, I lived in a single room with only few possesions for many years and consider it a good life.
    I had everything I needed.
    In fact, I could do the same again and be just as satisfied.
    Maybe one day.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Why NOT to buy palm oil products:
    https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/...hnk/index.html

Hello to the gang,
    first Happy new year and merry Christmas.

Second, I have the "ability" to some what document, the path of cutting trees (white pine and red pine) from day 1, to skidding, sawing, kiln drying, to making hives, in my shop, then putting the bees in. To be fair this will not appeal to the folks who order a hive from Amazon, and it lands on the door step the next morning. I will be lucky to get bees in these hives for next winter, (only can with kiln drying) so updates will be monthlyish and this will likely be a slow process.

here is a teaser pic a Pine that will be 2- 9 foot logs. I did some math and optimized the length, as I can do somewhat what I wish, I am doing 9 foot materials.pine1.jpg

Please Let me know if following this "project" would be of enough interest to post the pics and activities.
    And if a moderator could suggest where it should best be started.

maybe the title "Tree to Hive" DYI

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Please Let me know if following this "project" would be of enough interest to post the pics and activities.
    In general, members themselves choose the sub-forum for a particular thread. Some threads, such as those that involve heavy pictorial or video are better suited for the Photo/Video Gallery. Some threads are oriented towards beginner questions, and should go in the BK 101 sub-forum.

But many beekeeping threads could logically go in one of several different sub-forums. The hard rule is NEVER put the same thread in more than one location. Doing so will get at least one deleted, and in some cases, maybe all of them.
    Of course, Non-Beekeeping threads can only go in the Coffee-Klatch [or Tailgater] forums.

Moderators move threads to different sub-forums at their discretion. But that is not necessarily due to the content posted by the thread originator. Some threads get moved based on the responses by members, and that is not easy to predict in advance.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I don't know anything about the lumber business, and I'm always interested in learning something new. Go for it, I'll watch.

Just let me know where the thread is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Second, I have the "ability" to some what document, the path of cutting trees (white pine and red pine) from day 1, to skidding, sawing, kiln drying, to making hives, in my shop, then putting the bees in. To be fair this will not appeal to the folks who order a hive from Amazon, and it lands on the door step the next morning. I will be lucky to get bees in these hives for next winter, (only can with kiln drying) so updates will be monthlyish and this will likely be a slow process.

here is a teaser pic a Pine that will be 2- 9 foot logs. I did some math and optimized the length, as I can do somewhat what I wish, I am doing 9 foot materials.pine1.jpg

GG
    Cool!
    In my other life (was not meant to be) - I would be making the living from my own forest by sustainably and selectivly harvesting from it and making/selling sustainable forest products.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Cool!
    In my other life (was not meant to be) - I would be making the living from my own forest by sustainably and selectivly harvesting from it and making/selling sustainable forest products.
    Hi Greg, This area appx 12-14 acres we are clear cutting to promote regrowth and habitat for species needing thick edge/new growth.
    there are 8-12 large pine trees, that will be "exposed" to wind and Lightning, once the rest are cut. in my "experience" these nice tall trees end up busted up by Lightning or blown over by wind. As well "getting to" them later requires running over many smaller trees, so taking them with this cut is the best approach. And the hardware and road is there, so this is somewhat a do or wait 25 years, and hope they still stand, process.
    Also I need some materials for some projects so they will be cut this go round. Not sure I am here for the next time. I am not making a living by this cutting, we have cut 6 or 8 times in my life on various properties I help Manage. it is a every 6-10 year experience. It is neat to go thru IMO
    GG

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112