Global Warming - Page 17
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Global Warming

Default Re: Global Warming

Become pro-active......leave your frig. door open at night, lower your A/C temp & shut off your furnace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Back to the subject! I hear a lot of "Cons" to Global Warming which is a massive event. My questions is what are the "Pros"? For me, in Rhode Island, it's warmer. I don't have no deisre to go to Florida except for longer days BTW, in RI, we are no longer rocky farm land and we have reforested.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Holcombe View Post
    "To me, Jefferson is alluding to the need to grow, not so much to redefine or recreate." I find it hard to imagine that Jefferson or other founding fathers could imagine and plan for the current status. Thus the ability of the people / states to change the Constitution was provided.

The beauty of all this, people, country and web site, is not to stifle debate but encourage it. Those willing to discuss, listen and think will likely reach a consensus and generate the smart changes we need.

I find the gun issue very, very difficult to evaluate. I find the Federal gun protection laws, protecting manufacturers, against civil suits unconscionable and a violation of my rights. I hope a smart gun, smart laws or IROBOT comes along that solves most gun - societal issues. I have not killed except for food, fishing and clamming, since I was about 12. I had enough guns pointed at me.

Back to Global Climate Change or as I like to think Global Balance - a bigger issue. Funny, new issues never stop popping up!
    Ok Robert following your line here about "protecting Manufacturers" In the ball park of 40,000 people were killed by cars last year, Should Ford, GM etc be sued for the "danger" that barreling down the road in their created device at 80 implies. As well if the Gun was the issue, would knife manufacturers be also help liable for stabbings?
    Should Spoon manufacturers be held liable for Obesity? then you have the 100K deaths caused by complication in medicines being prescribed by doctors.

The danger with Guns is the person holding if, by focusing the gun the gun, IMO we are letting the person and behavior off the hook. The gun fixed the issue where a 290 pound man squared off against the 140 pound man. Basically big people ruled. strap a gun to each and the footing is more Equal. I have no issue with the Switzerland approach, you know if you break into a home the owner is armed. Cobb county in GA has the same rule, one of the lowest crime counties in the state. there will always be BAD people, the question is how would you prefer, you, your wife, your daughter, your son handle it?? unarmed,, let it happen, hope to gain sanity if you live, or defend ones self. The Gun is out of the bottle, only law abiding citizens would turn them in in the event this is demanded. Equal ground makes sense to me. Yes we wish it was different. We need to grasp the reality we are in, the times they are a changing. The person who used the gun against you is violating your rights , not the manufacturer. or the club or the knife or the truck.
    BTW if the current crop of politicians "were allowed" to change the constitution you Likely would not be happier. my opinion of course.
    If you get a gun, my advice push 5000 rounds thru it and be comfortable with it. It is a tool it will not change you into a bad person, you are what you are already.

GG

Back to the subject! I hear a lot of "Cons" to Global Warming which is a massive event. My questions is what are the "Pros"? For me, in Rhode Island, it's warmer. I don't have no deisre to go to Florida except for longer days BTW, in RI, we are no longer rocky farm land and we have reforested.
    For me Robert I can leave 10-15 pounds less honey per hive for the winter. Lately here in Mich we have had great Golden rod flow and pollen, in the fall,, in the 80's and 90's it was hit or miss. So IMO 1 more week of fall and spring is 1 week sooner. Slight change but the winter up here used to be way more serious. way less 10 below zero or colder winter days. With any luck in a couple generations we can plant coconut trees here.
    GG

GG, So, we agree there are benefits to global warming And we, being old enough, have seen some benefits in our northern latitudes.

One unusual issue I have in my local salt pond it the effect of ph and temperature change seems to nealry eliminated the soft shell clams, a Con, but the hard shell clams( Little Necks and Quahogs) are doing much better. I like to dig my own soft shell clams and steam them but also love raw Little Necks and Beer. Solution, I head up to NH and Maine to get steamers ( and great mussels), when at home I hunt the mighty Quahog.

Being a fith year newbie I cannot comment on hive consumption except I prefer to take all the supers in late summer / early Fall and leave the Golden Rod and Japanese Knotweed (abundant dark honey) in the Fall for the bees. I weigh the hives, left side and right side, and feed 2:1 sugar syrup until the hive reaches a minimum weight for Nov.1, prefer a extra. I have found, after 1 winter, my hives, depending on colony characteristics, consume 25lb. low to a 60 lb. high for 4 months, Nov.1 to March 1 with the average for 9 colonies being 42 lb. Most of my colonies are fairly large. All nine are flying today including the one I predicted would die over the winter. It was a very mild winter - so far. Pollen arrived at one hive on March 2, 2020! This is seventeen days earlier than last year ( Witch Hazel and something else - 2 colors).

I'll get back to you on the gun issues and comments later. 5000 rounds!!??

GG, So, we agree there are benefits to global warming And we, being old enough, have seen some benefits in our northern latitudes.

One unusual issue I have in my local salt pond it the effect of ph and temperature change seems to nealry eliminated the soft shell clams, a Con, but the hard shell clams( Little Necks and Quahogs) are doing much better. I like to dig my own soft shell clams and steam them but also love raw Little Necks and Beer. Solution, I head up to NH and Maine to get steamers ( and great mussels), when at home I hunt the mighty Quahog.

Being a fith year newbie I cannot comment on hive consumption except I prefer to take all the supers in late summer / early Fall and leave the Golden Rod and Japanese Knotweed (abundant dark honey) in the Fall for the bees. I weigh the hives, left side and right side, and feed 2:1 sugar syrup until the hive reaches a minimum weight for Nov.1, prefer a extra. I have found, after 1 winter, my hives, depending on colony characteristics, consume 25lb. low to a 60 lb. high for 4 months, Nov.1 to March 1 with the average for 9 colonies being 42 lb. Most of my colonies are fairly large. All nine are flying today including the one I predicted would die over the winter. It was a very mild winter - so far. Pollen arrived at one hive on March 2, 2020! This is seventeen days earlier than last year ( Witch Hazel and something else - 2 colors).

I'll get back to you on the gun issues and comments later. 5000 rounds!!??
    Robert so you mentioned beer likely we are like 2 peas in a pod. Here's a bit more data, the great lakes used to freeze over quite often now it is rare. this affects lake effect snow and near shore temps. Wind blowing over ice is much dryer and cooler than wind blowing over 40 degree water. Your early take and leave the golden rod is exactly my next year plan, it was warmer and wetter this past year and the flow was like the energizer bunny just kept going. I pulled late and had other issues, i hope to avoid this year. I like to winter in 2 deeps and a medium and now just do the lift test. I like them at barley lift, (one end one hand) easy lift requires adding stores, I normally give back the frames that are not completely capped. I may start feeding the 2-1 , in fall time frame, it seems an easy route to go. I still have snow on the ground and ordered some pollen patties to help with spring build up. be 3-4 weeks till i see pollen, first is willow and red maple here, yellow and red pollen respectively. Once the dandelions pop we are officially out of the woods. Was wintering neer 90 lbs now at 75ish. The weighing or lift is not exact as some have more or less bees and some of the wood is heavier than others. Good you check, great they made it with a few stores left over. I was up into Ontario last weekend north or Ranger lake. was -5F and 5 feet of snow, drove home to 45F and 4 inches of snow. interesting gradient over the same day 8ish hour drive. I reckon if we were nomads we would not care about the warming, just different pastures. Now that we are nailed down we are more effected.

5k rounds.... once you start to shoot, 100 rounds in a leisure afternoon will go fast , 1 day a week in a year 5k rounds is done. I would not recommend to carry a piece, you cannot be fast , and accurate, and do in the dark if needed. practice , practice, practice , carrying has responsibilities, be at master level proficiency, this is a classes recommended trail, not get it and forget it plan. Here having a gun is not the idea, being able to use it well is the idea.

good luck on the trip to get the steamers.
    GG

"If you get a gun, my advice push 5000 rounds thru it and be comfortable with it. It is a tool it will not change you into a bad person, you are what you are already."
    No argument here. If you going to have a tool know how to use it. I only have a problem when those 5k rounds go thru without 5k pulls of the trigger.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

GG, The "gun" issue is a tough issue wether argued from a common sense point of view of Constitutional interpretation. It definitely relates to safety and survival thoughts and issues. Liability is a common sense requirement for the consequences resulting from design, manufacturing and use of a gun.

Survival issues are easily supported, hunting for food for one. I cannot hunt or fish to kill unless I am going to eat it. Sport hunting and fishing for trophy's is questionable, controlling numbers by culling for survival of the herd is smart. Catch and release especially with a barb-less hook ( hummmm ...barb-less honey bees) is smart along with fishing regulations - it works.

I believe in the idea of "the right to bare arms" but with the smart, common sense regulations. The Constitutionally conceived "militia" exist with the National Guard. Readily armed people everywhere lend support and help define that "freedom" but freedom from what was not clearly defined; dictators and Kings was implied. The comfort of law and order goes a long way. Being from the East, hanging out with "kids" caring guns, making ZIP guns and testing ( one guy lost a couple of fingers) and then seeing a bunch of people walking around with hidden guns or brazenly carrying an AR into an airport scares and confuses me. What is a cop suppose to do when a guy walks into a super market with an AR? Pre-emptive strike? I have yet to see a massive army defeat a significant population, armed or un-armed, over the long term of time via a weaponized occupation. Strange enough, in my old age, I think I should learn to shoot and hunt with a gun but my common sense argues "Hey stupid, what are you doing? You cannot even see well, cannot move quickly, losing strength even the sense of smell - will not mention hearing aides! "Stick with the Bear Spray, baseball bat and Red Sox hat - seems practical at this point" so my Common Sense tells me as well as " grow food and set traps."

What I object to is the a law that protects a manufacturer from liability when their product fails to perform in a reasonable manner which injuries and kills people. Manufacturers who refuse to install safety features for the benefit for all. Who cannot constrain themselves because of profit motives. Who write laws (shame on Congress) and support lobbies for profit only.

Conflicts and Examples: If I am back packing for enjoyment I do not carry a gun as it is too heavy. If I am hunting for food,(I'm no expert), I would think a "suitable" rifle is practical ( not automatic firing as bullets are heavy). On the other side, I worked weapon systems for years and have seen a lot of "stuff". I have had a few weapons pointed at me - just did not like it. The range of "stuff" ranges from special, hand made rifles with custom rounds (the gun maker had gray hands) to "Sherwood Forrest" (guess what that is) to tactical nukes is incredible. Even nukes have been regulated via common sense, cost and international law. Neutron bombs were banned (not sure how its is monitored), so why shouldn't common weapons, guns, be regulated?

Roger Williams, a local guy, had offered a comment once " freedom of religion and freedom from religion". Only part of it got into the Constitution. I offer " freedom of gun ownership but freedom from guns" - now write some regulations written by representatives of the people not Corporations and lobbies.

Back to global warming - it, global warming is also a weapons issue as it make some forms of weapon hiding a real problem especially for nuclear deterrence. Hope I made some sense out of all this. It is not easy issue to resolve. ( Saltybee - I like the pragmatic thoguht "It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.They can learn them, they just can't do them.")

Everyone is experiencing the effect of Global Waming and a few public servants doesnt even care. We can already see and feel the ripple effect of Global Warming.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617