Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Two Hives - combine?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ruthiesbees 
#1 ·
I have two top bar hives.

What I was considering the stronger of the two has enough honey stores and some open brood (eggs and larva) but a bad case of mites. The weaker one has little honey stores closed brood and no visible signs of disease or mites.

At this point what is my best option for the upcoming winter? Should I treat the stronger one with the open brood even though it's late in the season? Should I combine them? Should I sacrifice the weaker hive and throw its capped brood in with the stronger hive?

#2 ·
They both have mites.

Based on the little information I have, I suspect they are both headed towards death this winter. Again, based on little information, i would rather have one strong (and mite free) colony at this point rather than two with death sentences.

So, assuming my understanding of your situation is correct, I would combine, treat agressively, and feed agressively. Maybe the combined colony will make it.

Do you have an experienced mentor that can help you decide?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.