Mid-Missouri Hello

Hi, I am retired and live in Mid-Missouri in a small town called Mexico. It is about 40 miles Northeast of Columbia, Missouri. I am new to beekeeping and do not have any bees yet. I am currently building swarm traps and studying, reading, and watching all I can about bees. I hope to have 2 - 4 hives by the end of next Summer. I have one hive now and will build more over the Winter. Hello to all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mid-Missouri Hello

Do you have a mentor yet or a friend that can give you some comb this coming spring for the swarm traps? It helps, but is not absolutely necessary. Swarm traps are hit and miss, the more you have properly baited and placed, the better your chances of catching at least one swarm. The traps from the plans at horizontal hive are inexpensive to make.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Ya, put out as many swarm boxes as you can. Once you find the “honey holes” you’ll be in.
    Rod

Yes I have a mentor who has been keeping Bees for 25 - 30 years.

Welcome to Bee Source.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Welcome.
    Proverbs 16:24

Thanks for all the Welcome posts. Can anyone tell me what the little check box on the upper right of the enhanced mobile app is for? I have read the FAQs, 6 intro posts and tried searching but I either missed it or it is not picking up in the search. Thanks

Nevermind I think I just figured it out. It is for quoting, editing and adding photos and attachments, etc.

I much prefer using the desktop version. Easier to navigate and shows poster's location in upper right-hand corner. (And fewer revenue generators.)
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Can it be set to dark theme?

MO.......
    Welcome. Just a suggestion. You should add your location to your profile. Believe me when I say that it helps when people respond to you to have that info.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

My Location is in my profile on my computer. Can't see it on the mobile edition when I click on profile it goes to search. On my computer I can see that you live in Rosebud and mine shows Mexico, MO (near Columbia).

Your location appears now because of "moderator magic"! I added it after I saw gww's post. I knew you had mentioned it in your first post so it was easy enough.

Welcome!

I lived in Hallsville for a time and spent some time in and around Mexico. My wife is from Palmyra.

I miss that part of the world, great place to live.

Welcome Bigfoot, good luck w/ getting yourself swarms in the spring!
    Rod

I always feel so cosmopolitan when driving through Missouri. I can go to Lebanon, Mexico, Herculaneum, Amsterdam, Troy, Sweden, Paris, Cairo, Columbia, Cuba, Cape Girardeau, Carthage, Glascow, Iberia, Malta, Manchester, Normandy, Odessa, Palmyra, Salsbury, Syracuse, Vandalia, Wesphalia, Winchester and Windsor.

Or if you want to be a bit more domestic you can go to Beverly Hills or Breckenridge or Brentwood or Buffalo or California or Camden or Miami or Mount Vernon or New London or New Madrid or Savannah or Salem.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I always feel so cosmopolitan when driving through Missouri.
    This is funny, Michael. Missouri certainly has a lot to offer! Welcome aboard, MoBigfoot.
    Ecclesiastes 11:4