Minty Taste

Thread: Minty Taste

Default Minty Taste

I had one of our worst years in terms of honey production. The honey however is excellent. The honey has a very light taste, is lighter in color and has a very defined minty taste. Everyone loves it but I have no idea where the minty taste came from. There have been years when we has a slight minty taste but that was at least 5 years ago. Does anyone know where this minty taste comes from? Our frames that were fully capped produced this tast and I assume the nectar was brought in earlier. Hives with poorly capped frames and higher moisture content had a very heavy honey taste. Hard to explain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Minty Taste

Basswood (Linden) has a minty taste to me.

A local beekeeper provided me with Honey with a distinct minty taste. Its lighter in color as well.

I thought she had added something to the honey.

Now I'm seeing this and wondering myself. It's fairly light in color, not too dark.

Yes, definitely Linden/Basswood - this year very strongly "minted" for some reason (must be dependent on weather conditions I assume).

I live in an oak forest but since th bee fly 1 or more miles there may be Linden or Basswood as these trees are common to Illinois. The honey is fabulous.