Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Totally Black Honeybee

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MimiE 
#1 ·
My nuc was being robbed out by feral bees that were almost completely black - only a few small yellow strips on belly, but top of body completely black. The first few I saw outside my other hives I dismissed as black wasps, but upon examining them closely they have body of honeybees. There were many of them robbing out my nuc - definitely social group. I can’t find anything on the web that looks like these bees - they are much more black than German Black, Buckfast - maybe British/European black bee?
I live in Cali and I know we get commercial beekeepers who bring bees into my area for almond pollination. What types of totally black honeybees are there?

#4 ·
I’ve seen honey covered wet bees before- this is not it. My only other explanation is that my OA fogger burned all the yellow hair off these bees. But then again they would have been found in my hives not from the feral hives. Bees from my hives range in color but none were totally black.

#5 ·
My nuc was being robbed out by feral bees that were almost completely black .... What types of totally black honeybees are there?
Just old bees (worn out and "bold").
What type is less relevant.
This time a year the old forager bees specialize in robbing (the specialty, in turn, makes them even bolder and darker).

Just yesterday I had to plug a nuc - all of a sudden it had lots of "black bees" flying (and the YJs standing by in the wings all around)...
A bad sign.
Screen/plug the nuc asap.

#6 ·
Just old bees (worn out and "bold").
What type is less relevant.
This time a year the old forager bees specialize in robbing (the specialty, in turn, makes them even bolder and darker).
That's my experience too - often see them causing trouble. Just as the young nurse bees are timid and unsure of themselves - those oldsters are exactly the opposite. "Bold" is exactly the right description.
LJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.