High Tech Beehives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: High Tech Beehives

Quote Originally Posted by karmahoneyproject View Post
    Looking for feedback on using acoustic type listening devices versus weighing hives in order to determine their health. We are part of a project to build a high tech city and one of the requested features is a 100 beehive apiary.

These are some of the ones we have been researching,

https://pollenity.com/
    https://www.osbeehives.com/products/buzzbox-mini
    https://apistech.eu/en/
    https://www.apisprotect.com/
    https://www.arnia.co.uk/hive-scales/

Would love to hear what the community thinks about these types of hives, and which ones would be the best choice.

Thank you!
    Good morning, you asked about a beekeeping app. First, my opinion is have a serious minded person take an online beekeeping course with a goal of Master Beekeeper. As was stated above hands on beekeeping is the only way to go to teach beekeeping. The app I am talking about is a citizen science project. The Bee Health Guru was developed by Dr Jerry Bromenshenk (a bee guru himself) at University of Montana, which also offers an online Master Beekeeping course that is taken in three stages, Apprentice, Journeyman and Master. This app, as I mentioned above, is a citizen science project that is being refined by experienced beekeepers, to be used by experienced beekeepers.
    I was somewhat dismayed reading the karma honey projects’ site information (and it’s obvious you have good intentions). You say you are “ Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR”, yet you used the seemingly “right” buzz words out there, global warming, save the bees, etc. You even compared the amount of beehives from 1947! Nothing mentioned that WWII had everything to do with the rise in beekeeping for honey because of the decline in sugar due to the war. That is how the renowned Dr Eva Crane got into beekeeping, a beehive for a wedding present. It looks good for the uninformed to buy into your project; how can you go wrong with kids and saving the cute honey bees? And you even managed to get politics in, by comparing Obama to President Trump. I, too, have a headache looking at your site.
    The response by Little John is correct, hands on all the way. We need young, good beekeepers for the next generation, who can think and evaluate their colonies by experience, not an app telling them what to do. That should be your focus.
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Good morning, you asked about a beekeeping app. First, my opinion is have a serious minded person take an online beekeeping course with a goal of Master Beekeeper. As was stated above hands on beekeeping is the only way to go to teach beekeeping. The app I am talking about is a citizen science project. The Bee Health Guru was developed by Dr Jerry Bromenshenk (a bee guru himself) at University of Montana, which also offers an online Master Beekeeping course that is taken in three stages, Apprentice, Journeyman and Master. This app, as I mentioned above, is a citizen science project that is being refined by experienced beekeepers, to be used by experienced beekeepers.
    I was somewhat dismayed reading the karma honey projects’ site information (and it’s obvious you have good intentions). You say you are “ Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR”, yet you used the seemingly “right” buzz words out there, global warming, save the bees, etc. You even compared the amount of beehives from 1947! Nothing mentioned that WWII had everything to do with the rise in beekeeping for honey because of the decline in sugar due to the war. That is how the renowned Dr Eva Crane got into beekeeping, a beehive for a wedding present. It looks good for the uninformed to buy into your project; how can you go wrong with kids and saving the cute honey bees? And you even managed to get politics in, by comparing Obama to President Trump. I, too, have a headache looking at your site.
    The response by Little John is correct, hands on all the way. We need young, good beekeepers for the next generation, who can think and evaluate their colonies by experience, not an app telling them what to do. That should be your focus.
    Yeah, I see a lot of "salesmanship" on the site as well. It is unfortunate, as the (supposed) goal of helping beekeepers (and honey bees) in PR is quite worthwhile, but that message is lost in all the other messages and noise.
    Last edited by bushpilot; 10-11-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling error

Well, renting the cherrypicker machine isn't cheap....
    Yes - cherry-picking.
    Absolutely.
    In fact, there are lots more of those cherries to pick, but ain't gotten no time.
    You are going public globally and asking for donations - be ready to be cherry-picked.
    Unsure what you expected.

In fact, you are the one asking for money and advice (not me) - so be nice and thank for the advice and such.

Do show your people dirty, sweaty, stung up, and actually working (not sleeping).

+100 to the above - about those loud statements about "savings the bees of the world" and blah, blah....
    Drop that noise - getting old.

PS: saving the habitat and native insects (including native bees, and possibly the unique Puerto-Rico honey bees ) - entirely different subject and must be demonstrated for what it is (not commingled into a big, general pile); if you do this - I will commend you!
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Hello Cloverdale, thank you for your feedback and input.

The beekeepers we have here are all 3rd and 4th generation ones. They know nothing about apps, the 100+ volunteers that are on board and are enrolled in the bee school / certification program here would be the ones that would be working to implement new technology. We are not in any way suggesting replacing good old fashioned hard work and diligence in checking the hives, however if there is a way to increase productivity, limit potential problems by getting an update to a phone via the app, we do not see the draw back to this. Again this would only be for A/B testing of 100 of the 1000 we are building. We have over 50 currently in different towns and areas across the island.

Looking into the online course that you mentioned above, and have emailed Dr Bromenshenk, thank you again for the advice!
    Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR Karma Honey Project

Marketing is marketing, You have to remember who our audience of potential donors are.

The donations have been steadily rolling in and we have been able to fund a number of projects, put volunteers into bee school here and have built one observation hive with the boys and girls club. Always humbly looking for any advice you have to offer =)
    Looking for experts to help advise our non-profit on rebuilding the bee population in PR Karma Honey Project

Marketing is marketing, You have to remember who our audience of potential donors are.

The donations have been steadily rolling in and we have been able to fund a number of projects, put volunteers into bee school here and have built one observation hive with the boys and girls club. Always humbly looking for any advice you have to offer =)
    Well, the best advice I have is to make sure that the donors are getting the real picture of your work and goals. I am well aware of what it is like working in the non-profit sector, having done so for most of my career (30 years), including fund raising. I wish you well.

we have been able to fund a number of projects, put volunteers into bee school here and have built one observation hive with the boys and girls club. Always humbly looking for any advice you have to offer =)
    Bees are associated with plants and many plants are fruit producing plants; so in my opinion there is whole new field for development of technology for hobby way producing and processing food.

Hi again, I am very happy to hear you contacted Dr Bromenshenk; maybe your beekeepers there could be part of this Bee Guru project. I have a friend who runs a non-profit 501 c here in New York. It is called NY Bee Wellness, and the owner is Pat Bono. She is part of the Bee Guru project too. You can look NYBW up online and contact Pat through there. She would have weekend workshops here in NY centered on honey bee education of identifying hive maladies, like AFB, EFB, the nosemas, etc. with knowledgeable beekeepers teaching these programs, like Randy Oliver, Al Avitable, and Dr Bromenshenk, among others. The goal was to have the participants leave the workshop and teach others what they learned in their local Bee Clubs. It was truly invaluable working and learning with these people. Pat sailed through the University of Montana’s Beekeeping course along with Rusty Burlew of Honey Bee Suite (a biologist, another site you and your beekeepers should visit) and are Master Beekeepers. I in no way think you have to be a Master Beekeeper, it’s not about having that certificate, but it does add to the credentials, along with long term successful beekeeping. Again, good luck with your marketing and the bees.
    Deb C
    PS I sound so stern and un-humble. My apologies. I laugh at myself because I in no way speak like this!
    Proverbs 16:24

Hi again, I am very happy to hear you contacted Dr Bromenshenk; maybe your beekeepers there could be part of this Bee Guru project. I have a friend who runs a non-profit 501 c here in New York. It is called NY Bee Wellness, and the owner is Pat Bono. She is part of the Bee Guru project too. You can look NYBW up online and contact Pat through there. She would have weekend workshops here in NY centered on honey bee education of identifying hive maladies, like AFB, EFB, the nosemas, etc. with knowledgeable beekeepers teaching these programs, like Randy Oliver, Al Avitable, and Dr Bromenshenk, among others. The goal was to have the participants leave the workshop and teach others what they learned in their local Bee Clubs. It was truly invaluable working and learning with these people. Pat sailed through the University of Montana’s Beekeeping course along with Rusty Burlew of Honey Bee Suite (a biologist, another site you and your beekeepers should visit) and are Master Beekeepers. I in no way think you have to be a Master Beekeeper, it’s not about having that certificate, but it does add to the credentials, along with long term successful beekeeping. Again, good luck with your marketing and the bees.
    Deb C
    PS I sound so stern and un-humble. My apologies. I laugh at myself because I in no way speak like this!
    Cloverdale, this is invaluable information! Looking up all of these people and contacting them today. Gracious words are a honeycomb,
    sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. =)

Hi again, I am very happy to hear you contacted Dr Bromenshenk; maybe your beekeepers there could be part of this Bee Guru project. I have a friend who runs a non-profit 501 c here in New York. It is called NY Bee Wellness, and the owner is Pat Bono. She is part of the Bee Guru project too. You can look NYBW up online and contact Pat through there. She would have weekend workshops here in NY centered on honey bee education of identifying hive maladies, like AFB, EFB, the nosemas, etc. with knowledgeable beekeepers teaching these programs, like Randy Oliver, Al Avitable, and Dr Bromenshenk, among others. The goal was to have the participants leave the workshop and teach others what they learned in their local Bee Clubs. !
    We have now donated to the Bee Guru Project, and are signing up two of our bee keepers in the online classes at the University of Montana. This is exactly the kind of advice we were looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12