Brood break

Thread: Brood break

Default Brood break

I live in Northeast Tennessee. I have just inspected a few of my hives and there was a consistent pattern in all. There was older capped worker brood, eggs, queen, but no larvae. So I am wondering what triggered this brood break which I estimate to be of about 2 weeks. I am thinking that a lack of resources has triggered the queen to stop laying. Or did she stop laying? Could the workers have removed the eggs? In any case we have been in a drought so maybe the lack of nectar and/or pollen triggered the brood break. Also we had been feeding the bees sugar water then we went on a 10 day vacation and then resumed feeding. So could this have triggered the brood break. The good news is that I am seeing pollen going into the hives and the queens are laying. But the bad news is that before I understood what was going on, I combined two hives because I thought that one was queen less. When I inspected I missed seeing the runny little black queen and I did not see eggs (which i also missed) or larvae. I only saw a bit of capped worker brood and thought that the hive had gone queen less. And as always the queen that you would have preferred gets killed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Brood break

The days are getting shorter. Nights are getting cooler. Nectar sources are drying up. She probably stopped laying.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I’m in nashville. One question I have is how open space did the queen have to lay? But Michael is correct. Shorter days less laying. Also We haven’t had a winter in a while and I think this year it will be cold finally.