ALMOST new beekeeper in SW Wyoming

Default ALMOST new beekeeper in SW Wyoming

Hi everyone -

I am retired Navy and work for Home Depot now.

Two years ago my wife got me into backyard chickens when a friend was moving and had to leave her small flock behind.

Now we are going to start backyard beekeeping also. I'm looking forward to it. My wife wants the honey. LOL.

I plan to buy my first hive setup, either at Murdoch's (local farm/ranch store) or one of the online bee shops this fall and I think I will do a NUC come Spring from one of the Northern CO suppliers as they are acclimated to our weather.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ALMOST new beekeeper in SW Wyoming

I’m new, too. Well, not new YET, but come spring... (if it comes ) I will begin to commence. Just wanted to give a fellow west-Midwesterner a hullo! My dad was in the Navy. Thanks for being a blessing to us all.

I've had bees in Laramie. The climate is pretty brutal but bees can survive there. They can also die...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Michael, I found your website and bookmarked it. Lots of good info.

If I had the summer free I would consider your apprentice program. Boy could I learn from that!

You could come to bee camp if you have a week and some money, or bee camp and work week if you have two weeks and no money...
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beescamp.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    You could come to bee camp if you have a week and some money, or bee camp and work week if you have two weeks and no money...
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beescamp.htm
    I am truly interested in the work/bee camp. You are an 11 hour drive on I-80 from me.
    At the end can I buy a NUC to bring home to start my colony?

Where are you in SW Wyoming? I'm 7 hours and 45 minutes from Laramie if you drive the speed limit. I should have some nucs available this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Where are you in SW Wyoming? I'm 7 hours and 45 minutes from Laramie if you drive the speed limit. I should have some nucs available this spring.
    I drive the speed limit. In my old age I've learned to enjoy the trip and it isn't worth the ticket.

I live in Green River which is another 3 hours and 15 minutes down I-80 past Laramie.

I drove through Green River once, on my way to Kemmerer, in January. It was COLD.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.