Wax moth prevention in storing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wax moth prevention in storing

is it true that wax moths don't like cleaned honey suppers with comb????

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I spray my stored frames down with Xentari. It is a BT that is specific to moths and doesn't affect bees at all. It will totally keep your combs free of wax moths and is the easiest way to protect them. I sprayed some old comb that I put in a bait hive and after two months I found no wax moth damage at all. This stuff works! https://store.valleybeekeeping.com/i...th-insecticide

Same here in coastal SC. After cleaning & freezing, I use those little condiment cups with holes poked in lids, fill with paramoth, put empty frames in hive box on top of a solid surface, add condiment cup, cover top with Styrofoam sheet (insulation) and let it set for a few weeks. When the paramoth starts to solidify, just replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by herbhome View Post
    Xentari: Bacillus thuringiensis var. aizawai
    Available through Amazon. Easiest control I know.
    How would i use the BT ? I have a big problem here in Orlando with moths and my freezer is only so big..

Does anyone have any idea if there's still bioactive material in expired Xentari? Would the stuff still poison any wax moths if a double or triple-strength mix was applied to combs? I have some that has been sitting in the basement refrigerator, which I hope is still good enough to merit using.

Quote Originally Posted by dancesneaker View Post
    How would i use the BT ? I have a big problem here in Orlando with moths and my freezer is only so big..
    I use 3 teaspoons per gallon of water. I purchased a new sprayer instead of using a previously used one to prevent any problems. I lightly spray each side. You don't have to get it soaking wet. Just lightly spray and knock off any surplus. Before storing in bins, I dry the frames for a day or two. This is my first year using Xentari so I did some testing and think this stuff works really well. It does not stop SHB larvae so if you have frames with pollen in them, they are probably a goner unless you store in a freezer.

>Does anyone have any idea if there's still bioactive material in expired Xentari?

As I understand it, the powdered Bt contians both dormant bacteria and the Bt toxin. So it may have some effect even if the bacteria has expired. I wouldn't buy it expired, but I might go ahead and use it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I got mine yesterday and it is 2 years old! The seller represents that it is fresh stock shipped directly from Valent. Do not buy from this liar, cheat and fraud: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264476608439

I have sprayed with Xentari - no moths, but many of the frames developed mold. After spraying I put them in an old freezer outside where the cold New England weather freezes them.

Quote Originally Posted by VickyLynn View Post
    I have sprayed with Xentari - no moths, but many of the frames developed mold. After spraying I put them in an old freezer outside where the cold New England weather freezes them.
    That's why let them dry for a couple of days before storing.

Quote Originally Posted by carmy View Post
    is it true that wax moths don't like cleaned honey suppers with comb????
    It is not their favorite comb to use but they can still destroy it if nothing else is available. They are quite fond of old dark comb with pollen in it.

Just bear these facts in mind folks. Wax moth are attracted to primarily dark comb, particularly those containing pollen and are most active in a warm dark environment. If its possible for you to keep the boxes on your (strong) hives until the weather is cool then you might never have a problem. Consider putting extracted comb back on your hives until the weather cools (perhaps above an empty shell) taking care to see that the lid is tight to prevent initial robbing, then store for the winter in a cool spot.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12