Queenless hive

Thread: Queenless hive

Default Queenless hive

I have a hive that has gone queen less. What would you do this late in the year?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queenless hive

If you have a healthy population and can get a queen somewhere, I would get a mated queen. If not, no choice but do a combine with another hive. J

Sickdog, first thing I would do is make sure the hive is actually queenless. A lack of eggs and brood is not uncommon this time of year.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Sickdog, first thing I would do is make sure the hive is actually queenless. A lack of eggs and brood is not uncommon this time of year.
    Yea thought that. But this is a hive that i split like a month ago because they wanted to swarm even though the queen had plenty of room to lay. I actually put a post up about it you responded on. Twice i Gave them a frame of eggs.They made queen cups they hatched and still no eggs. Last set of queen cups hatched about 2 weeks ago.What i will do is next week it is going to warm up i will inspect them.

Did not realize we were talking about the same hive. If you do not have eggs or larvae when you inspect, I would combine them with another hive or just let them languish and then use their resources for the other hives.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.