Overwintering a NUC

Default Overwintering a NUC

I have one 5 frame Deep NUC 40% brood, 60% honey/pollen mix with a 5 frame Medium on top about 80% filled with honey. Another one in a different yard about in a similar situation. For Winter should I put another Medium on top and feed them till it is full as well? And more importantly, since the NUCs have just migratory covers on them what should I do for ventilation and feeding? Since I am out of hardware for any of those options and don't have much time, want to know what would be best to spend what time I have building or break down and buy.

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Overwintering a NUC

i would say it is too late for manipulations and i would leave them as is, which is fine BTW. one year i overwintered two 4f mediums, one made it.

My nucs overwinter in the same configuration I overwinter my full size hives, just in smaller portions. Does your full size hive need "another med" or be fine with a migratory cover, same with ventilation and feeding.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Ok, will just make some shims to allow for winter patty or sugarcake feeding and add a vent hole for them.