Harmful to feed bees melter honey?l

Default Harmful to feed bees melter honey?l

I use a Maxant Wax Melter to refine my beeswax. Of course, this produces a fair amount of 'melter honey'. I've always thrown it out as I have plenty of excellent extracted honey for my needs and to sell. However, it occurred to me that perhaps I should save it to feed to bees in the fall so I could cut back on the sucrose. But I don't want to give the bees dysentery or otherwise do harm. Anyone with any experience or opinions?
    Lloyd Spear

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Harmful to feed bees melter honey?l

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I use a Maxant Wax Melter to refine my beeswax. Of course, this produces a fair amount of 'melter honey'. I've always thrown it out as I have plenty of excellent extracted honey for my needs and to sell. However, it occurred to me that perhaps I should save it to feed to bees in the fall so I could cut back on the sucrose. But I don't want to give the bees dysentery or otherwise do harm. Anyone with any experience or opinions?
    Hi Lloyd, I put out wet supers to be cleaned/licked out. so Bees also rob if they can. IMO bees will seek the honey if they can find it.
    The issue would be if the honey from all the hives the wax came from is "germ/virus/bacteria free. If one of the hives say has EFB it will/can be in the wax and honey. bees eating it could bring it back to the hive. Can the wax honey be separated from the wax to use? could use it for Baking, or Mead if you have some quantity. Not sure if boiling it for some time period would help to remove the issue or not.
    GG

the heat causes HMF so I would think you would have the same problem as they had with high fructose years ago. How were you disposing of yours, I had in the past sold mine to the Amish but they have there own bees now.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I always sell my melter honey as baking honey. It sells in bulk so it's not a lot of work to market it. I'm afraid of the HMF in the heated honey harming the bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I always sell my melter honey as baking honey. It sells in bulk so it's not a lot of work to market it. I'm afraid of the HMF in the heated honey harming the bees.
    sorry for the ignorance what is HMF?

Google it for a really good explanation. Everyone I know keeps it for baking/cooking needs.

Hydroxymethylfurfural.

Rusty Bulew gives a really good explanation of its formation and affect on bees in her blogs.
    https://www.honeybeesuite.com/hydrox...n-sugar-syrup/
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm#h

Hydroxymethyl furfural = A naturally occurring compound in honey that rises over time and rises when honey is heated.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF