Methods for dissuading more beekeepers in a particular location?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Methods for dissuading more beekeepers in a particular location?

Is there any method commercial beekeepers and sideline beekeepers here use to try to limit competition from other sideline or commercial beekeepers from setting up "shop" in a location?
    Last edited by username00101; 10-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Methods for dissuading more beekeepers in a particular location?

people in NY have been known to run the hives over with their trucks, seems to be slowing down with all the cameras around now.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Use any method you would be ok with being used against you. J

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    people in NY have been known to run the hives over with their trucks, seems to be slowing down with all the cameras around now.
    I'm asking about ethical and polite methods, not running my neighbor's hives over with a truck...

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    I'm asking about ethical and polite methods, not running my neighbor's hives over with a truck...
    so methods I have used, had a commercial guy ask to put hives on the farm where I have a yard, farmer told him there were already bee hives on the farm, so he goes to the next farm and asks and dumps 40 hives across the fence, within sight of my hives. I had the farmer talk to all his neighbors and ask them to not let beeks put hives on their farms. I now give honey to all the farmers, expensive but effective. One guy moved in 25 hives within a couple hundred yards of my best yard, when his hives died and he quit I provided the farmer with hives and honey. One of the side liners said he was going to move 30 hives in right next to one of my best yards, I suggested the area was already over loaded with bees, he said he didn't think so, I said well you must be correct, I guess I can move all my out yards closer to home and put them right next to all your yards, he agreed 30 more would over load the area. When people know where your bees are and decide to move in any way, there are no polite methods.
    mike syracuse ny

so methods I have used, had a commercial guy ask to put hives on the farm where I have a yard, farmer told him there were already bee hives on the farm, so he goes to the next farm and asks and dumps 40 hives across the fence, within sight of my hives. I had the farmer talk to all his neighbors and ask them to not let beeks put hives on their farms. I now give honey to all the farmers, expensive but effective. One guy moved in 25 hives within a couple hundred yards of my best yard, when his hives died and he quit I provided the farmer with hives and honey. One of the side liners said he was going to move 30 hives in right next to one of my best yards, I suggested the area was already over loaded with bees, he said he didn't think so, I said well you must be correct, I guess I can move all my out yards closer to home and put them right next to all your yards, he agreed 30 more would over load the area. When people know where your bees are and decide to move in any way, there are no polite methods.
    Do you advertise the location of your bees on google or anything else so ppl know about your apiary location?

May I ask how many hives your location can "support", based on your experience?

Thanks.

Do you advertise the location of your bees on google or anything else so ppl know about your apiary location?

May I ask how many hives your location can "support", based on your experience?

Thanks.
    nobody advertises the hive location, most people hide their bees around here, nobody puts there names on hives so you could track them down. Having friends in Penn. what my locations can support in NY will have no relevance to what your area can support in Penn. most of the larger Penn. beeks spend the summer in NY. as to how many hives can be supported, my best yard last year I had 20 hives, within 1 flying mile of that yard were 5 commercial yards with around 40 hives each, 3 yards with 25 each that I know of, that doesn't include the ones and two's in people's back yard. so that comes to around 300+ hives in a one mile area. On the other hand I have 1 yard with 10 hives that I use for breeding, there are no other hives withing a mile that I know about, haven't got a super of honey off of them in 3 or 4 years, guess why there are no other bees, the area stinks, and it's less than 15 miles from the above yard.
    mike syracuse ny

nobody advertises the hive location, most people hide their bees around here, nobody puts there names on hives so you could track them down. Having friends in Penn. what my locations can support in NY will have no relevance to what your area can support in Penn. most of the larger Penn. beeks spend the summer in NY. as to how many hives can be supported, my best yard last year I had 20 hives, within 1 flying mile of that yard were 5 commercial yards with around 40 hives each, 3 yards with 25 each that I know of, that doesn't include the ones and two's in people's back yard. so that comes to around 300+ hives in a one mile area. On the other hand I have 1 yard with 10 hives that I use for breeding, there are no other hives withing a mile that I know about, haven't got a super of honey off of them in 3 or 4 years, guess why there are no other bees, the area stinks, and it's less than 15 miles from the above yard.
    Can I ask why so much secrecy about the location of your hives?

I know that in this location, there's at least 2 beekeepers I know that have signs outside of their property that state "LOCAL HONEY" etc etc.

Why do you hide your bees and not put names on their hives?

Can I ask why so much secrecy about the location of your hives?

I know that in this location, there's at least 2 beekeepers I know that have signs outside of their property that state "LOCAL HONEY" etc etc.

Why do you hide your bees and not put names on their hives?
    secrecy, well NY has a history of problems, one of the ways you don't get other hives into your area is you don't advertise. advertising local honey doesn't say that you have hives at that location or that it's really local hone. on a side note, a person I know from Penn. had many people selling local honey around him, he knew the people didn't have that many hives, he spent the time and money to get the honey analyzed, I forget how many but only 2 were actually from local honey. At one time they had a bee law in NY that said you had to have a sign, with your registration number on it, the commercial beeks got the law overturned, you would have to ask them, so no requirement to identify your equipment. I don't think you have to id your yards or equipment in Penn. either.
    mike syracuse ny

secrecy, well NY has a history of problems, one of the ways you don't get other hives into your area is you don't advertise. advertising local honey doesn't say that you have hives at that location or that it's really local hone. on a side note, a person I know from Penn. had many people selling local honey around him, he knew the people didn't have that many hives, he spent the time and money to get the honey analyzed, I forget how many but only 2 were actually from local honey. At one time they had a bee law in NY that said you had to have a sign, with your registration number on it, the commercial beeks got the law overturned, you would have to ask them, so no requirement to identify your equipment. I don't think you have to id your yards or equipment in Penn. either.
    So advertising the fact that there's an apiary in a location will actually attract more beekeepers ??

So if I put up an AD in the newspaper or on the internet advertising that there's a LOT of hives here, and we sell bees and honey etc, it's going to attract more beekeepers to the area?

You could also attract bee thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    You could also attract bee thieves.
    mike syracuse ny

My apiary locations are registered with Beecheck to help prevent them from getting sprayed. Bee thieves beware! I have a large dog and a night vision scope. Hives are less than 50 yards from the house. Just saying.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My hives are well off the beaten path and I don’t actively discuss their location because people do steal them or destroy them. I’ve read several local articles of guys getting their hives burnt or people dumping diesel on them. They suggest kids did it but it really seems like it’s a feud between rivals.

I have to say I find myself surprised at how big of lowlifes some beekeepers are I kind of thought the company would be better but once you get beyond the backyard enthusiast you can find some real gems. I say that not just based on hear say but run ins with other guys and discussions on other forums local groups etc. obviously less competition is better for us for honey sales but be mindful of how far your willing to go on dissuasion.

OK, so if I were to advertise that myself any my neighbors and the other local beekeepers have 50 hives here....

But I DO NOT specify the exact location, you still think that'll just encourage commercial beekeepers to drop 100 hives around here somewhere?

Here in Arkansas, if your apiary is registered, only the landowner next to you can place hives that he owns on his property unless you agree to allow non owners to do so.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

If you have good honey that people like, yes, the unscrupulous beeks WILL put hives in that area. I know of one personally that did that to an acquaintance who has been doing bees for over 40 years. Even on this list you have to be wary, especially in NY as Wildbranch has been stating. It is truly amazing how some people have no conscience whatsoever, just plain ol’ sneaky. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by AHudd View Post
    Here in Arkansas, if your apiary is registered, only the landowner next to you can place hives that he owns on his property unless you agree to allow non owners to do so.

Alex

We do not have registration here in NY, but if we did that sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    If you have good honey that people like, yes, the unscrupulous beeks WILL put hives in that area. I know of one personally that did that to an acquaintance who has been doing bees for over 40 years. Even on this list you have to be wary, especially in NY as Wildbranch has been stating. It is truly amazing how some people have no conscience whatsoever, just plain ol’ sneaky. Deb
    What's the situation in NY exactly?

Here in PA, I see a number of apiaries listed in my area. I know of one apiary that's right next to a road, I can see the hives clearly. Doesn't seem like any theft has taken place.

Then again, maybe NY is a REALLY good place for bees?

Just what I have heard from friends, what has happened to them. Cronyism at the top. It only takes a few like the proverbial “bad apple” to spoil many. I don’t know about thefts or destruction though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast