Methods for dissuading more beekeepers in a particular location? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Methods for dissuading more beekeepers in a particular location?

“Then again, maybe NY is a REALLY good place for bees?”
    NY is a big State like PA.
    Proverbs 16:24

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    “Then again, maybe NY is a REALLY good place for bees?”
    NY is a big State like PA.
    Didn't someone say the PA beekeepers bring their bees up to NY for the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post

Didn't someone say the PA beekeepers bring their bees up to NY for the summer?
    I know some that do but only after our spring flow has dried up because NY is anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month behind us. The fall flow starts earlier there and they bring them back down for the same reason in reverse.

It's not "better" it's about the timing.

OK, so I listed my apiary with google business.

I learned a couple of things, none of which were particularly satisfying.

1. One must register their physical address with google business, no exceptions.
    2. After they get verified, one must specifically choose to CLEAR their address. Which hides the actual address. It does show the town.

For about 3 days, my address was public.

One family stopped by over the weekend, seeking honey. They also sought to purchase bees.

I'm not sure how to deal with this.

On the one hand, I dislike having people know where my apiary is located, because, mostly of Hive theft.

Similarly, I worry that too many local residents will start keeping bees in this area, if they know there's a honey farm.

The family that stopped by lives very close, and wanted to start keeping bees.

I hope you encouraged them to attend beekeeping classes and offered to sell them some bees this Spring. A few extra hives nearby will not have an adverse imapct on your operation unless they decide not to care for their bees properly. For many it is an exciting, but short-lived venture, but also one that should be promoted when possible.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by username00101 View Post
    OK, so I listed my apiary with google business.

I learned a couple of things, none of which were particularly satisfying.

1. One must register their physical address with google business, no exceptions.
    2. After they get verified, one must specifically choose to CLEAR their address. Which hides the actual address. It does show the town.

For about 3 days, my address was public.

One family stopped by over the weekend, seeking honey. They also sought to purchase bees.

I'm not sure how to deal with this.

On the one hand, I dislike having people know where my apiary is located, because, mostly of Hive theft.

Similarly, I worry that too many local residents will start keeping bees in this area, if they know there's a honey farm.

The family that stopped by lives very close, and wanted to start keeping bees.
    This has happened here locally. It’s amazing how many people do this with no knowledge at all about honey bees, or even have the incentive to learn. Wait a year or two and most will be gone.
    Proverbs 16:24

Put in a cherry or a candy factory to give all of the honey colors of the rainbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12