Inspite of my help my bees are doing well so how do you

Default Inspite of my help my bees are doing well so how do you

My two hives are doing very well. 2 10 frame deeps and two med supers. I ended up with close to 10 gallons of honey this year but when I robbed them I had 30+ of 40 med frames full and the other were not capped as well as needed in July so I placed them back on the hives.

That lead to having to mediums boxes with full and empty frames and I had excessive bearding so I ended up putting the second medium box back on the hives.

I did a full hive inspection in early August and found I was honey bound in the deeps so I took out 7 deeps from one and 5 from the other and places new foundation. I just dropped the deeps in two boxes and set them on top of the hive till I figured what to do.
    I realize a lot of this problem is self induced when I did not check the bottom of the supers where some were not capped. Live and learn

I looked two weeks ago and have about 30+ medium frames full capped and some of the new foundation have not been touched nor was some of the frames I put in the deeps. I am lucky living north of Houston Long season and a couple of subdivisions around me with lots of gardeners. Other than a little break in August they are working on something all the time. I was on the dry side of the storm and got 3.5 inches over 3 days. Every thing is greening up and flowering again.

Sometime in October I need to rob all the mediums but what do you do with the deeps? If the new foundation has not been worked do you drop the deeps back where the new foundation sits? Feed the honey back? Feed sugar water?

Last year I wintered with the two deeps and a Bee Man hive top feeder. What would you do this year? just the two deeps? leave a super on with or without honey?

Exactly how much honey will double deeps need to make it thru the winter?

If you remove the supers what about the excess bees? There is not much of a winter here. We have three or 4 day northers an most of the time the cold day is above 30 and in few days back up to 50's or warmer till the next norther.

Thanks,

JimD

Opinions appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Inspite of my help my bees are doing well so how do you

Leave the hive configuration large enough to hold your bees, and don’t mess with their brood area.
    David Matlock

Extract the honey bound deep frames and replace the foundation with them. Do not disturb their cluster.

I agree with HillBilly2. I am in West Houston/Katy. We are just now seeing Golden Rod and Aster blooms. This should last until early November for the fall flow. Loquat trees will bloom in December and Red Maple around the 1st of February. You only need to make it through January, and from personal experience 3-4 deep frames of honey should be enough for a double deep entering "winter".

They may or may not be able to draw out the foundation during the flow. By giving them the extracted frames, they can store the flow more easily.

BTW, it is the spring build up where they are more at risk to starve, so monitor/feed in Feb and March when they are growing like crazy.

I appreciate the help. I am out to ck on the hives and rob what I need to.
    I am curious to go in and see what the bees have done. With my luck the new foundation is not touched and I will have a ton of bur comb up in the deep on top that I stuck all the deep honey frame in. These deep boxes are getting heavy at high chest levels with 7-8 deep full frames.

It was an interesting day with the bees.

#1 hive My early producer hive had 9 frames of capped brood and the number two had 5 frames and both had a little eggs and larva.
    I found the #1 box queen on the second frame. What are the odds?

1 had less honey than I thought and I ended up with leaving a supper about 1/2 full of partially full frames and non capped honey . I had 5 deeps and 1 med super to process. This box had less honey than #2 but after changing out the full med frames I left a full 1/2 box of partially full frames that I left on top.

#2 surprised me the whole box was full of honey. I pulled 17 of 20 med frames and had 5 deeps to process. The deep box on top was had 7 full deep frames of honey and a little brood in the middle and the bottom had ~6 full deeps as far as I looked. I had the capped brood and I found a little larva so I quit with out going thru the whole bottom box. I could have pulled some more deeps but why. I put a processed medium super back on this hive,

I ended up with a little over 10 gallons of very dark honey. Good taste but the darkest honey I have seen in 35 years. Interesting I pulled a super in early June because I was out of honey and it was a lighter ok honey but the July rob gave a darker better tasting honey which I prefer. The second batch reminded me of the East Texas Honey I used to get in the old days. This dark honey is good but a different taste.

I ended up with a little over 10 gallons of honey from the two hives.

I am guessing that the hives are ready for winter with all the capped brood and some new brood but they were working like crazy yesterday.

For you up north. My temperature was abut 90 yesterday and our humidity was abut the same. I thought I was going to have a heat stroke by the time I finished robbing my second hive. It is not wise to have a fifth box on top with full deeps.

Thanks to all for help. I realize that I have just two hives but that is what I want for fun. More than that this turns in to work and not a hobby. It gets expensive giving the honey away. I have gotten a little over 20 gallons for the year. I need to find someone that wants the wax. I am

JimD

Final count was 41.5 qts.
    plus the left over from 1 and 2 robs.

Being in Spring north of Houston area has anyone had very dark honey with their Sept or Oct fall rob and hive clean up? Probably 10 of the deeps are h oney up to a year old but ~30 mediums frames of new honey since July when I robbed the last time.
    I love the deep honey color but this is REALLY dark.. It has a good taste if you like the more flavorful honey. Funny year with the early May honey with the rich medium lite honey and the July being still darker and more flavorful but it is more black than deep honey color in has the deep honey color.

I do not want more bees but is there anyone in the Spring area that might want to come by and make a split or such next spring and start with their own bees plus furnish their own boxes? I own enough bee boxes for me but I learned this year that bees are either growing and swarming or sick and dieing. I was luck and made some stupid moves. JW says my bees did good even with my help.

I gave two boxes away and still had bees swarm while I was away. Just depends if I am still working or retired and going crazy.

Thanks for all the input. Jim

Here's one for ya Jim. "The bees are better at being bees than we are at being beekeepers"

Glad everything is working out.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My wife said something like that. If old married guys of 30 + years would listen to their wives and follow directions they would do a lot better.

I feel like we are just like "old dogs that cannot learn new tricks" we "could" learn new tricks but we just cannot hear the commands given. My wife has not given up yet.

Still cannot figure out the reason this late honey is so dark. It does not taste quite as good as the 6 gallons I took in July when I needed some honey. I live north of Houston in a Subdivision with both open land and other Subdivisions around But saw nothing blooming to cause all this honey to be that dark.

I was in Bali a few years ago and at the resort they had 5-6 types of honey from the different plantations around the islands and the color went from clover color to black honey depending on what was growing on that plantation.
    I do not have that here.

In 30 plus years of having bees 1959 to 1992 I never robbed my hives more than once a years but times were simple and it was hard to give away that many gallons of honey. It helped to have an uncle that always had a bunch of bees when I was in middle school and high school and I could build things at his house if Sears did not have it.

I do feel the darker honey is better for you but there is that why from medium amber in July to real dark in October and no major plantings in the area.??
    Jim