Bone dry nuc - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bone dry nuc

Default Re: Bone dry nuc

I agree with Lburou, open feeding is an invitation to robbing this time of the year. Feed syrup as long as possible inside. Dry sugar poured into the cells of some empty comb works too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I would put a candy board on top of them. I have had many hive survive that way . That where light going into winter. Look up Laura Miller recipe.

I'm going to try something new this year. Taking a bucket of dry sugar and spooning it into the open cells of comb. Once properly filled, spraying some water onto them just to be slightly damp. I'll try this the end of October and let you know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBeeVet View Post
    I'm going to try something new this year. Taking a bucket of dry sugar and spooning it into the open cells of comb. Once properly filled, spraying some water onto them just to be slightly damp. I'll try this the end of October and let you know how it works.
    Do it at your own risk.

Consider - bees are able to take dry sugar place above them why?
    Because, incidentally, they generate moisture which then raises and condenses on the dry sugar - enabling the bees to "lick" those caplets of sweet condensation off the sugar.
    The warm and moist air creates conditions where the bees can use dry feed placed above them.

In cold climate, the solid feed IN the frames is often NOT usable by the bees - because it is too dry and too cold.
    Bees do NOT chew the dry sugar - they lick the condensation off of it (to be technical).
    Cold, crystallized honey/sugar just a frame over is largely useless in cold, dry winter.

In cold, dry winter, crystallized honey in the frames usually means the dead bees - the food is there but inaccessible.
    In mild and humid winter - the same could be totally different - too much moisture and not cold enough - makes the solid food in the store accessible and a good combination - it acts as a sink in extra moisture AND does not turn into a mush to drop onto the bees from above.

This is one difference between the coastal winter and inland winter - a significant difference, however.
    Need to start with defining your own winter first.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I went to my hives today to feed 2:1 and found one half of my support hive being Robbed out. I use 1/2 gal jar feeder and one was empty after 3 days, Twice. It leaked out and ran out of the hive. Guess why it was being robbed out. Sugar syrup running out of the hive tends to attract and start robbing. until I can build some 4 frame hive top feeders I'm changing the lids after each time I fill them. i'm in Maryland and I was feeding 300 yards with a bucket feeder. I stopped and the robbing started after there wasn't any thing for the bees to bring back to store up. I'll be putting the bucket back up and using top feeders. good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12