Is it feasible to control swarming without performing a spring split? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Is it feasible to control swarming without performing a spring split?

Quote Originally Posted by Spice_snow View Post
    Bees are not in the habit of walking over blocked honeycombs.
    In the spring it happens that the honeycomb is covered up before the honey frame is put on. As a result, the brood space becomes too small and the bees start to swarm.
    What can I do against it !?
    Remove some honeycombs from the bees in the brood chamber and hang them in the honey room. Once the young bees have hatched, these honeycombs can be removed and the honey room can be refilled with honeycombs. who is afraid that he has lost because the honey room is too small, put a frame on top. An examination for queen cells is still mandatory!

I am sorry for my bad english me is A man vrom Bawarian (Germany)
    -------------
    What I have described is only for spring time. If the beekeeper has missed to set the honey room in time and there is already a honey wreath closed on top of the honeycomb. This honey wreath causes a lock over which the bees do not carry honey and that putting on a honey frame does not make any entry. The lower frame becomes too small and the bees get into a swarm mood. This is not a method but an unwritten bee law! You will find it in every breed of bees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is it feasible to control swarming without performing a spring split?

Agreed Spice_snow.

I use Opening the Sides of the Brood Nest (OSBN) based on the same principles.

My biggest hive this season has drawn, filled and capped 40 deep frames! and the flow is still going.
    Just harvested some of it yesterday.
    Haven't had issues with swarming when using OSBN.

During Swarm Season:
    • Maintain at least 2 undrawn frames in every box.
    • Place undrawn frames on the outer edges of the Brood Nest in the Brood Box(es).
    • Move honey frames up and out of the Brood Box(es).
    • Start as soon as Drones are being raised.

Have a look at the method here:
    http://daveybees.wikidot.com/openingthesides

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567