What does Packed for or by on label mean?

Default What does Packed for or by on label mean?

Someone that sells honey to almost every gift shop in my town has on every label in small print it says "packed for or by them". So what does that mean? Ive never seen that on a jar before until now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I see it on store brand items. Someone makes the product but sells it to a retailer who sells it under their name with their quality standards. It is called private labeling. I have never noticed that kind of label on honey before.

Also don't know what the benefits and drawbacks of that kind of label would be.

This isnt for a store it says packed for or by smokey mountain honey companyand they sell the honey under that name at every gift shop in town

Default Re: What does Packed for or by on label mean?

Just a guess but I would assume that "packed for" would mean that another beekeeper or company is filling identical jars with their honey and selling them wholesale to Smokey Mountain Honey, who then attaches their label to the jar and markets it.

It's the same principal that honey co-ops might be using, except this company is receiving outside honey already packed in jars rather than in bulk.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Just a guess but I would assume that "packed for" would mean that another beekeeper or company is filling identical jars with their honey and selling them wholesale to Smokey Mountain Honey, who then attaches their label to the jar and markets it.

It's the same principal that honey co-ops might be using, except this company is receiving outside honey already packed in jars rather than in bulk.
    Thats what it sounds like to me to, had just never seen it or noticed it on any of thier honey before.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbeez View Post
    Also don't know what the benefits and drawbacks of that kind of label would be.
    Not sure either to me it just made me think thats not their honey and just buying and relabeling. But i dont think anyone would notice until after they bought it or if they would noticed at all its in smaller print at bottom of jar so dont think it woukd effect sales at all.

That language just covers who put the product in the jar.
    Does not tell the origin of the product, could be local, could be imported.
    Covers the part of the labeling requirement for contact info, does not tell you anything about the product itself.

It is also possible that that company is a small operation and falls under different food laws in your state from the large operations. In Colorado I sell my honey under the Cottage industry act and am limited to 10K in sales and have to put the following label on everything I sell"

Raw Honey
    my name
    my address
    my email or phone number
    Harvested: 13 Sep 2019
    Ingredients: Raw honey
    This product was produced in a home kitchen that is not subject to state licensure or inspection and that may also process common food allergens, such as tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, soy, wheat, milk, fish, and crustacean shellfish.
    This product is not intended for resale

Quote Originally Posted by mybodyisatemple76 View Post
    This isnt for a store it says packed for or by smokey mountain honey company ....
    Smokey Mountain Honey Company may be another one of David Winter's operations. See this page where he is doing business as "Smokey Mountain Bee Farm".
    https://www.honeybeestore.com/history.html

While that page isn't promoting honey per se, the name is very similar. If the "smokey mountain honey company" label has an address in Parrottsville TN, then its likely a David Winters company.

Mr Winters has a long sad history of not delivering what he collects money for; refuses refunds, and then makes up a different story / business name and keeps going.

Stay far away!

Note that I have not seen the honey label in question and do not *know* that Mr Winters is behind it.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

[/QUOTE]
    Smokey Mountain Honey Company may be another one of David Winter's operations. See this page where he is doing business as "Smokey Mountain Bee Farm".
    https://www.honeybeestore.com/history.html

While that page isn't promoting honey per se, the name is very similar. If the "smokey mountain honey company" label has an address in Parrottsville TN, then its likely a David Winters company.

Mr Winters has a long sad history of not delivering what he collects money for; refuses refunds, and then makes up a different story / business name and keeps going.

Stay far away!

Note that I have not seen the honey label in question and do not *know* that Mr Winters is behind it.[/QUOTE]
    The adress is in sevierville Tennessee i drove by the house just to see what it was cuz i looked it up and it was only 10 minutes off main road so i wanted to see if he had alot of hives or what size building was back there and all i saw was a big stone house that looked like a lawyer or doctor lived at. with 1 hive and a nuc in the front yard. So idk but whoever it is would need alot of hives to sell what they are selling because its everywhere like in 100+ stores in my county.