Getting bees to move into Deep

Default Getting bees to move into Deep

I had a 2 hives that were either all mediums or only had 1 deep the rest mediums at the start of spring. I added an empty deep with plastic foundation on the bottom and placed the rest over top. Over the summer, they did some work on the lower level. but when I checked them recently they have completely abandoned them. I understand it is too late this year to do anything with them and plan on pulling them when I put on mouse guards. I also had another one that was a NUC that they have completely abandoned the 5 frames in the bottom that came with the NUC, I am assuming because they are so dark and old, but they also abandoned the outer ones about half drawn out. What can I do different next year to get them to move into the Deeps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Getting bees to move into Deep

Queen excluder.
    David Matlock

Next year add the deep to the top of a box that is 80% drawn out, not under it. They like to move up. They are also reluctant to draw out frames on the sides so you need to swap them out for one that is drawn near the middle (but don't break up brood). I don't know why they would abandon the bottom frames of a nuc as they tend to prefer old,dark comb but since they didn't like it, it may be a good time to retire those frames. J

I would add the deep on top, and checkerboard 2-3 medium frames. They will normally draw drone comb on the bottom of the mediums, which you can cull every week or 2 as a mite treatment. Once they draw some deep frames you can go back to normal. If you want them out of the medium, add a queen excluder until all the brood has hatched.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.