Saskataz Queens and bees

Default Saskataz Queens and bees

I only have a couple of years of bee keeping but I thought the qualities of the saskatraz bees were what I was looking for. Make a lot of honey,winter good, and resistant to varroa. My question is restance to varroa.What does that mean. Varroa does not affect them as much? You dont have varroa? What does it mean. I have 4 hives of saskatraz 3 showed no mites on alcohol wash and one was 8 or9. What does resistance really mean.
    Now to the queens. Year before I had Italian Queens. I was told Italians lay eggs all the time. No eggs, no queen. When I started with saskatraz I noticed that the queen would have lots of capped brood at one time. Now this capped brood could all be of different ages. I would check my hive every two weeks and would see eggs and larvae also.Then there would be times when I could not see any eggs and no young larvae. Not having a close mentor at the time I would think I was in trouble. Sometime I would see supercedure cells and feel for sure there was no queen.These supercedure cels would be capped and be queeen cells I would destroy all the cells, order a queen and have eggs in 10 days which was the earliest I would check. On the others I would see no eggs and young larvae and think my queen was gone and order queens. Could the Saskatraz unlike the Italian just be taking a break. And if so how do you know. With Italians the year before they were starting there second year and I lost all 3 queens at one time. I paid 2 experts to review this and said yes I lost all three queens. Requeened Italians and ok. So then I go to Saskatraz.Just about three weeks ago I check hives. One hive had absolutely no brood,larvae or eggs and no supercedure cells.No supercedure or queen cells.Replaced queen and ok. Next hive had supercedure cells that were sealed and larvae and bee bread =queen cell. Destroyed all queen cells and replaced with queen and doing ok. I think these were all "legal"and doing fine. I know queen cells could have given me a queen but I did not want to want to wait. The next one I could not find any eggs or young larvae and capped brood low. I thought no queen but maybe queen was not getting enough nourishment and just stopped. Could saskatraz just stop a week and then start again. I dont know but i could not see any eggs. Replaced the queen and things are fine now. About a month ago this same thing happened to three hives. No eggs ,no young larvae and I replaced . Got better but was this the old quenn kicking in or the new queen. No I dont look for queens just eggs and young larvae. Another time no eggs and supercedure cells replaced queen after destroying supercedure cells that were now queen cells and put in new queen . This actually happened twice.
    $64,000 question did I have to requeen all of these. Withe the one with no queen cells and absolutely no eggs larvae and capped brood=yes. What about the ones I just saw no eggs and no young larvae. Was the queen just resting. Please help. I am buying a lot of queens. Do saskatraz lay like crazy .stop, and then start again. Like I said buying a lot of queens. Know I could let queen cells hatch out but dont like to wait that long. If you dont understand all this rabble tell me and I will rewrite. I am a bee kepper.I can take rejection but I dont like it. Like I said when I had the Italians I paid people to come and check my hives to tell me there were no queens. Cant and wont do that. These were all my judgement calls. I want to be a beekeeper. But, not one who has to second guess himself. A supercedure cell I call a cup that has egg or larvae and some egg or larvae and bee bread. When it is sealed I call it a queen cell. Yes or No. Where can I find someone experienced with Saskatraz. That will talk or answer me. Doing a lot of requeening. Study frames thoroughly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Saskataz Queens and bees

I've bought 9 saskatraz queens from https://www.ohbees.com/( the only real ones). Mine took a break during the dearth, every hive tried to supercede them, I had to keep cutting out cells till their own brood took over.
    see my Youtube, most of them are booming, A guy I know bought some from Lappes, and said they all died, didn't do much of anything. OHB is the only place where the breeder is from the guy in Saskatchewan.
    9 out of my 12 hives showed 1 mite, I had one Saskatraz hive that showed 8. They need treating, they just show hygenic behavior, ie: pulling brood out if varrora are in there. I never see it myself.
    NCSBA Certified Beekeeper - my Youtube Vlog
    https://www.youtube.com/c/BackyardBeesNC

ifixoldhouses comment about (the only real ones) is misunderstood by many. saskatraz queens are breeder queens from canada. saskatraz hybrids are grafted directly from these breeder queens that were mated in canada. saskatraz hybrid queens are open mated in california by OHB. daughters of saskatraz hybrid queens are no longer saskatraz hybrid. diluted russian might be the best way to label them. any more discusion of the topic is best placed in the bee breeding section of the forum. and i must convey that i dont fully understand all the intricacies of saskatraz project.
    to OP, you should not need to requeen so much. saskatraz hybrid bees (again, mostly russian traits really) are very dependent on incoming resources to maintain brood production. they will shut down as soon as the fields dry up unless you really stimulate them. in spring as soon as first pollen is available they really explode. i find they will also tolerate a mite load better than other strains.

I meant the only "authorized" ones where the original breeder queen is from Canada, OHB sells hybrids off of the breeder, I think Lappes resells OHB queens or something, anyone else that claims Saskatraz is probably a daughter of a hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by ifixoldhouses View Post
    I've bought 9 saskatraz queens from https://www.ohbees.com/( the only real ones). Mine took a break during the dearth, every hive tried to supercede them, I had to keep cutting out cells till their own brood took over.
    see my Youtube, most of them are booming, A guy I know bought some from Lappes, and said they all died, didn't do much of anything. OHB is the only place where the breeder is from the guy in Saskatchewan.
    9 out of my 12 hives showed 1 mite, I had one Saskatraz hive that showed 8. They need treating, they just show hygenic behavior, ie: pulling brood out if varrora are in there. I never see it myself.
    Just for your information. All saskatraz queens come from OH bees. Your friend said they all died. Sounds lkke he killed them.

They may all originate there, Lappe's sells them, but why buy them from there like my friend did? they are in the cages for who knows how long, and then they ship by usps, OHB sends them next day air, and they are cheaper, and less stressed.